Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Ranger EV. I don't know how common the brake parts and problems are to the gas models.
I have about 350 hours on it; I bought it used about 40 hours ago. Last night coming off of a mountain, I heard a clacking noise and some scraping from the front left wheel. The clacking noise sounded like when I pick up a stick and it rattles around until I remove it. There wasn't anything there. I was about a quarter mile from home all downhill. I kept going. I did notice that I didn't roll as freely down hill as usual. I didn't need much braking. I disconnected the caliper from the disc without undoing the brake line, tied the caliper up out of the way, and drove about 50 feet, then back into the barn. No noise. So I took the caliper off of the machine. On my workbench, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. I couldn't push the pistons back by hand but they went back with two c-clamps and I was able to remove the pads. A friend who works on cars, not ATV's, said it could be a collapsed brake line. What do you guys think. The pads have about .090" on one and .125" on the other. My manual says replace at .030" if that helps any.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The lines aren’t very long maybe seeing something visual that’s different. Maybe loosen the screw for bleeding the brake line on the back of the caliper snd pumping the brake pedal

·
Registered
547 Posts
Wear some gloves feel the outside, (but be careful of strands of stainless wire if the outer sleeve is at all damaged ) pinching the tube, if you feel a change of shape it may have been kinked in the past. Its not easy to see anything on the Stainless hoses, unlike a rubber one. On all the Ranger EVs I see here in the UK, the stainless flexibles go right back to the master cylinder. They are quite long. If its only one side having the problem, it has to be in the hose or the caliper, as both front calipers are attached to the same piston in the master cylinder at the same banjo bolt connection. Is the caliper able to move in its mount? the gaiters on the slide pins can break allow grit in and the caliper then doesnt move on the pins. OverallI think that is the most likely problem. All pistons need a fair bit of force to move them back, as its not just the piston you are moving, but the hydraulic oil back through a small pipe back through the master cylinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grumpy,
Thanks for the help. I took apart the caliper, cleaned it, greased the rods, and put it back together. The lines are very strong, I can't squeeze them at all. They appear to have a hard plastic shell over the stainless braid. After the caliper cleaning, everything worked fine for a week. Then it happened again. Coincidently, or not, I was parked in the same spot in the woods where it started last time. One thing I took note of this time, I have to perform a very tight K-turn to turn around in this spot. The springs/suspension make a very strong "springing" sound. In a cartoon, it would say: "sproinngg". Then the same problem, scraping and clacking, started again. The next day, I took the machine out of the barn and drove around a little so I could see if it was the same wheel. No noise now! I was about to just break down and buy a new caliper but not sure if that was even the problem. Since I corrected it the first time, I was thinking that ruled out the brake line. Would the brake line "repair" itself? Would you replace the caliper? Brake line? Nothing? Polaris wants $189 for the front right caliper assembly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sounds like you need to move the suspension/ sttering as you do in the K turn, and watch whats happening . Could be the brake hose is getting caught somewhere. The pipe is made up from an extruded PTFE lining with the stainless braiding and a plastic outer. But if it gets squashed it may take a while to recover shape,and may in time break at that point.
With a strut, the top mount has to swivel, if it doesnt, the spring gets wound up as you turn, until it is generating enough force to overcome the binding mount, or jump over the coil end stop.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There are other brake caliper options. I replaced a caliper on a friends cart. Driver rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts