Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

We went out to Wilborn Trail in Cullman, AL and had a great time. We rode all day and had one last trail to hit. We went to the creek and I had to back up and turn sharp. Guess it was just too much for the cv joint. I will call Shoals Outdoor Sports Tuesday and see if it will be covered. I do have larger tires but was not doing anything that I would not normally do. I think it is the cv joint and not the axle, and it is the outer one closest to the wheel. I have a few pictures of the ride I will get up later.

Josh

·
Registered
75 Posts
it is almost a guarantee that if a ranger axle break it is on the right front. i have done the same thing before too.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I am not sure if Rangers have the same AWD system as the RZR.

When I push the button to engage AWD I believe it means both front wheels are locked and moving together.

It would be very bad when in full lock mode to turn sharply if you have solid traction as both wheels are trying to travel the same distance. Something will have to give and if the tires can't slip then the axel or CV joint will break.

I noticed this while plowing snow and in AWD but was fortunate I was on ice and the tires did not have good grip so I didn't break anything. Now when I plow I just stay in 2 wheel drive unless I get stuck and then I am carefull to keep the wheels straight while getting unstuck.

I don't believe there is any Limited Slip designed into these machines so both front wheels want to travel the exact same distance when both are locked.

Gary

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think both wheels do turn, polaris promotes there " ALL Wheel Drive " and I have spun all 4 before so I think is it locked in the front.

·
Registered
75 Posts
they r locked in the front. mone broke when i was climbing up some ruts and the front right spun and snatched the wheel out of my hand and went to full lock to the right and them POW!!!. end of story.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Actually its kind of surprising that there seems to be a few right fronts broke, its been my experience in dealing with other Rangers owners as well as myself that the left front is usually the one to go, and its usually the ones with a 2" lift, wheel turned all the way under power.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to talk to the dealer Tuesday and see if they will cover it. I do have a lift and new a-arms, but I was riding with another dealers friend and they couldn't believe it snapped when I was just turning it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mine is in the shop right now with a broke front right cv, warranty will not cover mine as it is (normal ware and tear) on a 4 month old machine. the dealership said my whole front end was shot and going to have to be replaced which is being covered by warranty. anybody else having trouble with the front ends on lifted rangers. if so what can i do besides geting gorrilla axles to fix it??????????????

·
Registered
66 Posts
Most of us are running a 2" lift and some of us have broken axles, myself included, but mine was thrashin on it under full power and the wheel was turned. A 3" is going to put a lot of strain on stock CV's.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took it in today and they are replacing it under warranty. Thanks Shoals Out Door Sports for taking care of your customers.

Josh

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SOS called and My Ranger is ready to be picked up. O0 . I was correct about thinking it broke the cv joint . Also they gave me a tip about my 2" offset a-arms. Thanks SOS for being a great Dealership and Friend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i know this is an old thread but the info is helping me just curious i have a 2006 that i just got and i put a 3in super atv lift on it and b4 mu front right cv boot was broke and i didnt get to it in time and now the guts r broke is it best to replace with stock or go with rhinos` i have used them on my grizzly 550 and worked great with 30`s but not sure what i should do and how do i measure the angle of the axle that would help alot, sorry one more question i see bout the steering stops r they worth it , the person that had this b4 me put a metal hose clamp on the steering acuator were the clips r suppose to be is they stop about a 1/4 inch from the ends on both?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I broke the right outter cv joint on my 2012 ranger. I was backing out of a mud hole in awd turned sharp to get the rear out of the mud. I heard a pop didn't think of it later turned to the right it start popping cv joint way broke. This was the first time I got stuck. I wish I could of been on ice to see this first. Hunterworks now carry axles for 125.00 lol.
This is the only thing that I miss on my old Rhino was a diff lock switch on the front.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I broke the right outter cv joint on my 2012 ranger. I was backing out of a mud hole in awd turned sharp to get the rear out of the mud. I heard a pop didn't think of it later turned to the right it start popping cv joint way broke. This was the first time I got stuck. ...
I have a 2015 EV that had a hard ride today - got stuck - and I used 4wd to help get it out. When I checked things over, saw that the front right axle had popped out. (see pictures.) Just looking at it, it is almost as if there's a nice gear there that could just be pushed back into place.

Is this "broken" or is it something that can just be popped back in? My dealer is a long way off and it's a pain to get my small car to haul the heavy EV.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts