Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to connect power to the factory bus bar on my 2019 ranger xp. I also purchased the 6 port bus bar that can be installed on the 1000xp. I wanted to know if anyone has installed this on the 900? There’s and accessory port on the bus bar but the 900 doesn’t have the accessory wire that plugs into. Or am I wrong. Looking to see if anyone has tried to install an bigger bus bar.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just went thru this exercise with my new Ranger. In the end I decided to go with a fuze panel and ground bar. I went that route because if you install the 1000xp type bus bar, you still have to have a inline fuse for every accessory. That's a lot of clutter IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I was curious about the accessory wire going to the bus bar for the xp 1000 as well. So how big of a fuse block did you install? Did you just draw power off the three pole stock mount accessory pole.? I’m thinking going that route to. I just really like the 1000 bus bar plug in’s they use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is my setup:

Remember, the accessory power (which is keyed power) is only good for 20 amps max. If you intend on running several things that you only want powered from the key, you need to use relays.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got it. So what did you use for your ground I can’t tell from your picture. You didn’t use the factory sold power and ground leads from Polaris I noticed. So fuse block, ground bar. If multiple accessory power use relays. Nice set up. Dressed very clean. I’m going to go this direction.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So from the factory, the 900 Rangers 3 post bus bar only has keyed power supplied. The other 2 are empty. You can either purchase a wiring harness or make your own.

I just made my own. It was alot cheaper to do it yourself.

Once I had my ground on bus bar, I just ran a 10 gauge wire to my grounding block. That gave me 8 good grounding connections instead of stacking them all up on a single post. Word of caution, my grounding block is a 8 terminal. Get a larger one. 8 is not enough. A single accessory can use up to 3 grounds. One for the accessory, one for the relay and one for the switch. Go with a 16.

Watch some youtube videos on relays. The idea is to use your keyed power to trigger the relay so you can run your accessory from full battery power. That way you don't overload your keyed power circuit.

·
Registered
2019 Tanger 1000 XP
66 Posts
I am having keyed power issue on my 2019 ranger 1000. Should there be power on the center contact with key on. I got power to bottom contact all the time. My light bars wend dead I checked fuses and relays all good I have no idea

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am having keyed power issue on my 2019 ranger 1000. Should there be power on the center contact with key on. I got power to bottom contact all the time. My light bars wend dead I checked fuses and relays all good I have no idea
Is the power run from the battery to the bus bar when it comes from the factory? I know the 900’s you had to run power to the bus bar to get it to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Tanger 1000 XP
66 Posts
Yes power is tun to bus bar from factory; when I bought that he unit I installed a 18 inch light above the front brush bar using yellow wire (keyed power) capping off red wire on bus bar plug. The light worked great. I then added 50 inch light up top wiring it the same way this time to the roof bus bar the dealer installed for me it worked great. Last night i tried adding two cube lights to face rear going to add too harness on 50 inch bar that came with extra connector. That’s when every thing went dark.
I checked the fuses in fuse box. Looked good. I swapped a few relays in on bus bar power to bottom pin all the time. No power to middle pin with key on

I can’t figure out if there is a inline fuse from factory for center pin on bus bar. I believe the keyed power pin is my issue. I also checked the other bus bar center pins no power
fuse box and still nothing. Replaced 40 a fuse on use bar nothing. Checked power

·
Registered
2019 Tanger 1000 XP
66 Posts
Yes power is tun to bus bar from factory; when I bought that he unit I installed a 18 inch light above the front brush bar using yellow wire (keyed power) capping off red wire on bus bar plug. The light worked great. I then added 50 inch light up top wiring it the same way this time to the roof bus bar the dealer installed for me it worked great. Last night i tried adding two cube lights to face rear going to add too harness on 50 inch bar that came with extra connector. That’s when every thing went dark.
I checked the fuses in fuse box. Looked good. I swapped a few relays in on bus bar power to bottom pin all the time. No power to middle pin with key on

I can’t figure out if there is a inline fuse from factory for center pin on bus bar. I believe the keyed power pin is my issue. I also checked the other bus bar center pins no power
fuse box and still nothing. Replaced 40 a fuse on use bar nothing. Checked power
Sorry for misspelling iPad keyboard covers reply box

I checked all six center pins on bus bar and no power

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve heard that the keyed power is only good for 20amps. Check the amps your pulling off your lights. Not sure about the bus bar power. My 2019 900xp doesn’t allow me to install the factory bus bar you got. I really wanted to but I felt a lot of unforeseen issues would occur. I ended up going this route instead. Keyed power only actuates the relay/battery isolator that allows full battery power go to my fuse block. So I turn I can load it up. Just started building my machine stay tuned for add ons.
6A920176-EF69-483B-A723-2D4846783791.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
So from the factory, the 900 Rangers 3 post bus bar only has keyed power supplied. The other 2 are empty. You can either purchase a wiring harness or make your own.

I just made my own. It was alot cheaper to do it yourself.
How long was the run of cable?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I don't know the answer.

Why is it necessary to run the negative lead to the bus bar?

I bought my ranger with a light pre-installed. I noticed that instead of grounding to the middle stud of the bus bar, that light was just grounded to the bolt that mounted the bus bar to the frame. As far as I can tell, that is a true ground. So why would it be necessary to run that negative lead?

I apologize for my ignorance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts