Polaris Ranger Forum banner

Can a loose Inner CV/plunger joint lead to bigger/expensive problems?

5K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Biggz 
#1 ·
Hello everyone and thank you for your help. I am looking at a 2015 Ranger 900 XP and the inner CV has what seems to be a decent amount of play when i grab it with my hand it seems to move 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I have read a good amount and some say thats just the way polaris is. I asked the guy at the dealer if he would put a new one on and he replied with "we can but it will still have the play". I drove it today and the 4x4 work fine and all in all the utv ran rather well. The utv was quiet and i did not hear any bad noises but then again I am new to these.

The cv joint was the only thing i seen wrong with it so i am wondering if this will lead to bigger/expensive problems or might even just become a rock in the yard. I have been reading a lot about this but it is still confusing to me if this will cause more problems. Thank you for your help

Thank you
Biggz

#4 ·
Eventually it will loose drive, and mean replacing the joint and drive in the diff... They shouldn't have any play but unfortunately the sealing set up is bad, grit gets in there and wears them out.... Polaris have made several changes to help over the years, protruding seals and vitron o-rings being the latest, when new a smear of some decent instant gasket helps too.

#7 ·
Thanks again for the information Tom-Layla Brough. My father has a RZR 900 and said that his passenger side was loose like that but has still driven fine for a year. I just dont wanna get stuck with a expensive problem that i might not be able to fix. But it seems as if a lot of them do it. Thank you again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.