Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this isn't a foolish question ... but what the heck. I've got a RZR on order and soon to arrive. I'd like to be able to move it from my summer to my winter place twice a year. A trailer is the obvious solution. But I have limited parking in the winter and just towing the RZR itself would be a simpler solution. I'm not sure what mods, if any, would need to be done to avoid damage to the powertrain. Fabricating a towbar would be easy I think. A rigid towbar that keeps the front wheels off the ground would even be a possibility so that only the rear wheels were turning. This would allow the RZR to be backed up just like a trailer if needed. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
507 Posts
How far are you looking at towing?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My trip would be 1500 mi. each way. The tire issue was one I'd already been concerned about. I've got 14" wheels and tires. I'd thought about swapping the ATV type tires for some all-terrain tires w/fairly agressive tread from a small auto or pickup. I'm also concerned about turning the axles, CV joints and other parts for that many miles.
Talking to a friend offline, he suggested fabricating a mounting bracket for some torque tube type trailer axles that could be used w/DOT type tires and quickly attached for towing. Then fabricate a tongue to be attached to the front of the RZR frame.
I'm afraid that, long term, my best idea is still to just load it on the trailer and go. But I just have to keep thinking ... and wondering, if there would be a better way. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
507 Posts
1500 miles would put a lot of wear and tear on the RZR. I think your cheapest solution would be to trailer it. If money is not a factor, just buy another RZR, one for each location ;D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Serious, it could cause damage and if the thing happened to pop into gear at highway speeds you could really hurt it. Get a small trailer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If parking is limited I would look at an enclosed trailer and use it as a shelter to keep the RZR in or even park it on an open trailer . But I would NOT tow it 1500 miles!!!!!

Mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not for nothing but I would think all the trouble of fab'n those parts then hooking it all up, it would just be easier to buy a trailer load, strap and go.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Could you imagine. I slightly wore out wheel bearing on the verge of going. Hooking it to the back of the truck and towing it for 1500 miles. I bet the wheel falls off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
and then the wheel strikes some innocent persons car, the law suit would be filed before the wrecker gets there

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree. If you were only talking 5 miles or so, that would be another story, but not 1500. Poorfarmer had a good idea with an enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Look at a folding motorcycle trailler. They can stand on the back a stored in about 20" 8)

·
Registered
635 Posts
RinoRescue said:
Look at a folding motorcycle trailler. They can stand on the back a stored in about 20" 8)
You took the words right out of my fingers..

If I may DON"T TOW , DO TRAILER

1 - 14 of 14 Posts