Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a 2004 Ranger and noticed fuel leaking out of a small pipe underneath the carburetor. There is nothing attached to the end of the pipe. Should there be something here, or is this a fuel return or drain pipe? If so, what is causing it to leak and how can I stop it?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
That tube is probably the overflow - it's there to keep the carb from completely filling up and flooding your air filter etc with fuel.

Your problem is probably with the float valve.

There is a float inside the carb and when the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carb fills up, the float rises and puts a small "needle" into a hole to stop the fuel from coming in. But if a tiny piece of crud blocks the needle, or the float gets stuck down, or the float springs a leak and stops floating, gas just keeps on coming in and it has to go somewhere - so it overflows.

I had some of that on my Ranger when I got it. The carb was all gunked up from sitting. I had to take it apart and clean it - twice - before the machine would run properly.

Bottom line, you probably need to go into the carb and clean it up real good.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
While you are in the carb replace the float needle. It has a little spring in it that collapses over time and use, especially on bumpy terrain. When it collapses it will not close the needle completely and gas will continue to run into the float bowl and out the little hose you are talking about.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It could be a simpler fix. Try pulling the screw on the bottom of the fuel bowl. You might have water in it that's causing the float to operate incorrectly.

Reference - I recently got muddy water in fuel tank through the vent line. By the time it got to the carb I had fuel coming out of the line you described and the vent lines on top. I pulled the drain plug on carb, ran the fuel pump a couple times and re-installed. Result- fuel stopped coming out fuel vent lines and the engine purrs like a kitten.

Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not tryin to jack this thread, but i have a simular problem. I took mine off and cleaned it. Now it floods the engine with gas. I took out the needle and seat and the seat has 2 grooves making the seat hole look egg shaped. I will replace them but could my overflow tube clogged, making gas run into the intake? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts