Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all. New to the forum. I used the search function and came up empty. Looking for a mounting solution for a CB or HAM radio in a cabbed ranger. If you have pictures that's super helpful (they say a 1000 words).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Built my own bracket, need to pay attention to clearances for the bed dump, it's pretty tight. used about 1/4" plastic spacer and longer screw on the clamp to keep the antenna quiet

·
Registered
2017 Ranger Crew Northstar 6" lift 15" wheels with 32's
81 Posts
N8WOW, expert, but no mount for a ham radio in my Ranger yet. Kind of ham radio inactive these days. I just bought a new radio the other day. Rfinder b1+, Just need a cell phone mount for that one. Nice radio installs!

Reactions: dennis.wigmore

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Ultimate Crew
137 Posts
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Mode of transport Automotive exterior

Door Grey Automotive tire Rim Wood

Ordered a piece of 80/20 and had it machined so I could use the factory holes and hardware thats there for the poly roof. Set this radio in for a test fit. There are actually three screws in each of the three sections so i just had to pop a couple extra holes in the headliner. Then went to the dealer and ordered 6 more screws that secure the liner in place and installation went smooth and I feel the track is rock solid. There are different threaded adapters that slide in the track of the 80/20 and I plan to install other items like a fan or two to circulate some more air. With the track system i felt i could slide things around to make room as needed for whatever i might want to try and put up there.

·
Registered
2017 Ranger Crew Northstar 6" lift 15" wheels with 32's
81 Posts
looks really good, all of the installs looks sharp.

Here in British columbia we have RR channels to use on the roads, plus some other base camp to truck style comm's so finally installed this.

View attachment 27030
View attachment 27026
View attachment 27034
View attachment 27031
View attachment 27032
View attachment 27029
View attachment 27033
View attachment 27028
View attachment 27035
View attachment 27027
Nice install! What is hanging from the suction cup on the windshield and how well does it hold? What kind of mount is that?

·
Registered
2020 XP1000 Ride Command
76 Posts
View attachment 26977
View attachment 26978
Ordered a piece of 80/20 and had it machined so I could use the factory holes and hardware thats there for the poly roof. Set this radio in for a test fit. There are actually three screws in each of the three sections so i just had to pop a couple extra holes in the headliner. Then went to the dealer and ordered 6 more screws that secure the liner in place and installation went smooth and I feel the track is rock solid. There are different threaded adapters that slide in the track of the 80/20 and I plan to install other items like a fan or two to circulate some more air. With the track system i felt i could slide things around to make room as needed for whatever i might want to try and put up there.

80/20 is a great idea, looks like it works good in a crew. I may try to find a spot towards the front in my 3 seater for a short section of that.

Your install looks great, as do the others that have posted. I haven't started on the radio project yet, but these give me some ideas. CB, HAM, GMRS... lots of options out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey y'all. New to the forum. I used the search function and came up empty. Looking for a mounting solution for a CB or HAM radio in a cabbed ranger. If you have pictures that's super helpful (they say a 1000 words).
Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

i went quick and dirty mounting my 29 to the large cubby and the mic clip above. It’s a large radio but I bought it at the truck stop CB shop in Reno used. Somebody hopped it up replacing the output transistor with a mosfet and it’s power peaks a bit over 40 watts. The
Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light
antenna is a Wilson 1000 magnetic mount which hasn’t been knocked off my Fortress steel roof yet. Coax runs up “B” post and surplus cable is tucked into those three large holes back of the cab.

We’ve had so very large forest fires in my area over the past three years and they are doing large scale salvage logging. Without a CB one is very likely to come around a turn and find themselves nose to nose with a big rig log truck! The drivers call out their location by mile markers and as long as everybody is talking everything cool.

One of these days hope to install a 2 meter/440 in the Ranger and this thread has provided some great mounting ideas!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice install! What is hanging from the suction cup on the windshield and how well does it hold? What kind of mount is that?
That’s a “New Motorola Mount.“ Commonly used to mount VHF/UHF antennas to the top of vehicles. Normally a hole is drilled thru the body metal but Dennis has fabricated a L shaped bracket to avoid drilling a hole thru his roof. Clever!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts