Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew the transmission on my 2017 xp 1000 Northstar crew. Got new trans in and new axles and went for a test drive. I just drove around without seat belt, low rpm, 4wd, rear locked and not. All systems seemed great. Finally plugged in seat belt for a high speed hit and nothing about 55 rpm and maybe 40 mph. This was a 55-60mph ranger prior. Belt seemed centered ok, belt sitting up in the secondary right around the notch line and primary runs in and out in neutral normally.

We dismantling for new trans here are the steps I took.
  • removed bed & muffler
  • unclipped wiring harness from trans, fuel rail. I did not touch the spark plugs or the wires.
  • removed shocks, upper a-arms, rotors
  • removed breather hoses
  • disconnected air filter, air intake/fuel rail from intake and rotated it up and out of my way
  • removed primary, secondary and inside cover. clutches were very clean. Primary weight move fine when I take the pressure off of the spring. The secondary sliders seem ok but maybe I should look closer.
  • Unbolted motor and moved forward 1-2 inches
  • unvolted and removed trans.

Everything went back together in the reverse and it went together well and I didn't have any issues. Clutch engages at about 1850 rpm, smooth and quiet. I can spin the tires from a dead stop, idles well, runs cool. The only thing I'm seeing is rpm stalling at 5500. No codes are displayed from the ecu. I checked all of the air hose connections, they seem tight. The fuel line is short and not pinched. I did have the muffler fall from its mount, do you think something came loose in there? I plan to take it off tomorrow and test run to see if maybe there is an obstruction.

What am I missing????????? I am getting ready to take this machine on an elk hunt and I planned to have it in tip top shape. Any ideas would be most helpful. Thanks!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
First thing i would do is test the fuel pressure while running down the road and getting on it. 58 psi +/- 3 psi is spec. Just T in with a pressure gauge up by the fuel rail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have the work/performance mode and I forgot to try that! it was on my list, thanks for the suggestion. I guess I'll check fuel pressure as well, I was just thinking since I didn't mess with it, it shouldn't have changed but you never know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmmm .... Okay .. if your mode switch is in the proper position ... 1850 is a bit high ... new they are 1600 rpm on engagement ... Did you use the clutch alignment tool when you installed the trans ?? It's critical that you do ... If you didn't you're probably suffering from belt slip ... also is it a new belt .. if so is it a Polaris belt .....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IT WAS THE MODE SWITCH! OMG, what a dumbass. I guess i didn't realize that work mode actually limited the rpm. I never use work mode but did because I was trying to pull start an antique tractor and exploded the trans. Thank you SPEED8704!!! I knew it had to be something simple, it runs too good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure it isnt in work mode.
Thank you again for responding and solving my frustrating issue. I have received so much help and knowledge from forums be it antique tractors, utv, performance cars or really any hobby. Thank you for taking the time to help out.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Ultimate
19 Posts
Don’t feel to bad. I actually pulled both clutches off trying to figure out why I was low on rpms with 600 miles on the machine. I couldn’t find anything wrong so I scheduled a service appointment to get it looked at. The night b4 I was going to make the 2 hour drive to the dealer I thought of the switch and sure enough that was it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts