Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2019, I sent my Delta Quiq charger in to FSIP because it would not show the current algorithm. They rebuilt it, but it still would not display the algorithm. I sent it back to them, but when it came back, it still would not display the code. However, FSIP said they changed the algorithm to 71 when they rebuilt the charger, so I just went ahead and used it. It has worked fine since. But I just switched over to AGM batteries and need the algorithm changed again. I found a golf cart shop near here that said they would program it for me, but backed off when they found out it was a Polaris. They weren't sure how to work on it. But they referred me to a Polaris dealer. Now it gets interesting. I got the usual story that you hear in the forums that they have only ever worked on one EV. But they would be very happy to see what they could do, so they contacted Polaris support to see if they had what was needed to perform this service. They currently are using Digital Wrench. I was told this morning that Polaris support said they would look into it and get back to them???
So I am looking for alternatives. So far all I have come up with is to send it yet again to FSIP or buy the Delta-Q QuiQ Battery Charger Programmer for $200. After paying for shipping and service fee, I am thinking that I may as well buy the kit. But then I wonder if it will be right for my charger. Any advice?

· Registered
521 Posts
Very strange that the charger won’t display the algorithm. Have you disconnected the plug with the black and white wires coming out of the charger? Then plug the charger to the AC and it should read the algorithm when plugged to the AC. What do the LED lights do when you plug It to the AC?

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two years ago, I removed it completely from the cart and ran it on a bench. This morning, I went out and left everything plugged in with the exception of the plug with the black and white wires you mentioned. The only difference from the bench test one is the very top light stays on when in the buggy, but does not when on the bench. But I still do not see any code. Attached is the video of what I saw (I hope). Please have a look and let me know if I am missing something.
BTW, Lou, you helped me over the phone on this issue a couple of years ago and you recommended that I send it to FSIP. So I am convinced that this charger is just different. So I either pay someone to program it, or I buy the kit and do it myself. Charger Startup Sequence

· Registered
521 Posts
That’s very weird. At first it seems that the charger starts to charge at 18 amps but then it cycles out. The charger shouldn’t try to charge with the black and white output wires disconnected. Does it do the same cycling if you disconnect both plugs from the charger?

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I double checked this morning by unplugging both cables and it flashed the same sequence. I appreciate your confirmation that it isn't really flashing the code and I am not just missing it.

· Registered
521 Posts
Something majorly wrong. Did you buy this EV new? Wondering if someone messed up the software while tinkering trying to change the algorithm. I would be hesitant to use that charger especially not knowing what the real algorithm is. Ask Flight Systems if they can erase the messed up software and reinstall a new one. I am afraid that since something is messed up with that charger that you could ruin your batteries or worse start a fire. If they are unable to fix it I would look at buying a new charger.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought it used in early 2019 and proceeded to rebuild just about everything in it. I am not sure if it was mistreated by the prior owner, or if the problems were a result of the dealer using a pressure washer on it. The motor was pretty soaked inside. I sent the charger to FSIP in May 2019. They rebuilt it and changed the algorithm to 71 (according to the paperwork). Other than the code display issue, the charger appears to have been working just fine. I was told the batteries were 2 years old when I bought it, so that means they lasted a total of 5 years - probably 4 good years. So, I would reckon the charger is OK. At any rate, I have ordered a Quiq Programmer Kit, so I will take a look at the software level and logs (assuming I can display them).

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got my QuiQ Programmer CT in, so I set it up on the charger. I noticed when I plugged the charger in on my desk, it actually flashed the algorithm code! After three years of trying to get it to flash, it finally flashes the code - after I spent $140 to get a programmer! Anyway, I can see where it apparently was originally changed to algorithm 11 by the battery tapping method. I didn't know that since it would not flash the algorithm. So I sent it in for a rebuild to fix the algorithm flashing issue and requested it be changed to 71. I see where they did that. But when I received it back, it was still not flashing the algorithm, so I sent it back again. And it appears according to the system events log that the algorithm was changed again to 73. So for 3 years it has been running with algorithm 73 instead of the 71 I thought it was on. I have changed it to 42 for the AGM batteries per VMAXTANKS, but it is no longer flashing the code with the LED. I also see a lot of AC Brownouts which makes me think I should look at the power outlet I was using.
Anyway, I think this may be a good time to take Lou1947's advice and reinstall a new copy of the software. But I have not been able to locate it. Can someone point me to it?

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I guess no one knows how I can get my hands on software to reload in the QuiQ charger. I have another question. After switching the algorithm to 42, the charger would no longer charge the batteries. It turns out that algorithm 42 is "temperature compensated". Per a Delta-Q document I found,
"These algorithms must be used with a battery temperature sensor. If one is not installed, the
white wire from the charger must be connected to ground so that the charger will use a default temperature of 25.0°C. Note that this may lead to under- or over- charging in temperature extremes, and could lead to battery damage."
I shorted the pins A & B together on the charger sensor connector and the batteries charged up great. So I figured I would add a sensor but have been unable to find one. Has anyone run into this issue and if so, how did you handle it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts