Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nutshell:
OK to charge EV LSV in attached garage?
Do you?
Any extra precautions?

Details:
My new LSV will not be delivered for several days, giving me time to memorize owner's manual. I realize that a lot of the warnings in the manual are CYA stuff, but the warning about proper ventilation (to remove or dissapate possible hydrogen gas) while charging batteries causes me some concern.

My plan was to charge the LSV in an attached garage. The garage/house is a new construction so it is sealed fairly well. There are no heaters or anything with open flames or sparks in the garage, just a fridge, car, lights and wall plugs (no ceiling fan or direct ventilation).

I still plan to charge it in the attached garage, but am now adding a floor fan to circulate air around the charging area. Leaving a garage door open (or slightly open) is not really an option. I do have a couple of windows that I can open, but would rather not open them (rain/snow) unless that is my only option.

Full disclosure: I could be making a mountain out of a mole hill. I am retired from the petrochemical business, so my background makes me extra sensitive to the risks/dangers of flammable gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you can draw on that background in chemistry and do the math on this molehill :). How much hydrogen gas could be generated in a worst-case scenario charging malfunction? Figure the cubic feet of air in your garage... assuming a standard 400 sq ft floor with 10' ceilings, that makes 4000 cubic feet. What percentage of hydrogen added to the normal mix would become a fire hazard? Now, how many charging malfunctions would need to occur to reach this critical mass?

I honestly think the precaution is more intended for those storing and charging in an enclosed trailer or a shed. I haven't done the math, but my nerd instinct tells me you're safe :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts