Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The machine is charging no problem but the charge status light doesn't no appear to be working. Is there a fuse that I need to check or is it related to this: (see photo). Where should this be attached to?

Thanks
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this!

I've got it hooked up again as per the diagram. I just bought a new battery indicator light - I'm not going to tell you how expensive it was - but it's nice having everything working on a machine. Anyways, the new battery indicator also isn't working. I checked the fuses (in the fuse box and at the battery) and all seem okay. I tested the voltage at the block terminal of the battery indicator light - and when the Ranger was charging, I was getting about a .5V blink every second or so. That seems to make sense to me at it would be a flashing light. I also connected my alligator clips from the block terminal to the indicator light (in case the terminal block connectors were bent too far back) and there was still nothing.

I suppose my questions are:
1) Does anyone know what the appropriate voltage I should see at the terminal block (i.e. where the battery indicator light plugs in)?
2) Is there a way to externally test the battery indicator light to see if it works? (maybe I got mailed a dud?)

Thanks EV'ers for your wisdom.

Best
Scott

·
Registered
842 Posts
What year is yours? Mine doesn't have a battery indicator light. It has a charge status indicator that flashes when charging the batteries.

Mine is a 2013 model. What voltage do you have from ground to B+ with the key off?

That voltage powers the charge status indicator.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply! I have a 2012, so I have a charge status indicator like yours. I check VDC across ground to B+ and it was showing 12.3V with the key off and removed. I'm assuming that is what it is supposed to be.

Rechecked Fuses still all good. Still not getting any action from the charge status indicator light (either the old or the new one I just ordered).

Any other thoughts? Any way to test the charge status indicator light on it's own?

Best
Scott

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pull the 2A CSI fuse and check it with a ohmmeter.
Hmm - is that the one in the fuse box called "indicator"? The reading was 0.3 ohm.

I checked the 2a fuses attached to the batteries the batteries, both are also reading 0.3 ohm.

Any way to bench test the charge status indicator module on it's own?

·
Registered
611 Posts
The display has two LEDs wired in opposite directions. The QuiQ gives two leads , this means it could go to a bi directional LED Flow 5v through it one way and its red, flow 5v through it the otherway its green. For some reason Polaris have added complexity. The charger gives these outputs but they are fed to the vcim that then requires power (From the 12v tap) to then re produce the output and light the LEDS. I Have not checked but I believe the display LEDs are 5v not 12v, so if testing use a single Li ion cell at 3.7v and you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The display has two LEDs wired in opposite directions. The QuiQ gives two leads , this means it could go to a bi directional LED Flow 5v through it one way and its red, flow 5v through it the otherway its green. For some reason Polaris have added complexity. The charger gives these outputs but they are fed to the vcim that then requires power (From the 12v tap) to then re produce the output and light the LEDS. I Have not checked but I believe the display LEDs are 5v not 12v, so if testing use a single Li ion cell at 3.7v and you cant go wrong.
Thanks Grumpyb - I was able to see the CSI module light up red one way and green wired up the other way!

So I guess I should be seeing more that .3V across this terminal block when charging?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Are you seeing 12v on the B+ screw terminal. its the one with the pink(Black stripe) wire fed from the 12v pack taps. I hesitate to tell you its the top or bottom terminal, as I have seen both on different rangers. But ground is definitely the middle screw!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you seeing 12v on the B+ screw terminal. its the one with the pink(Black stripe) wire fed from the 12v pack taps. I hesitate to tell you its the top or bottom terminal, as I have seen both on different rangers. But ground is definitely the middle screw!!
I definitely have B+ constant voltage. Showing 12.3 V with key off and removed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did a quick check last night and it looks like I'm getting .35V flashing when I plug it in my ranger to charge across the CSI terminal block. This morning when I checked it again and it is -.5V when the ranger is fully charged.

So it looks like I'm getting something to the CSI terminal block but I'm assuming that my voltage is too low?

What would cause a reduction in voltage like that? Possibly faulty VCIM?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I troubleshoot I prefer starting with the good voltage and follow it through the circuit until it disappears or the voltage level goes bad.
Does the wiring from the B+ tap go straight to the VCIM?

Thanks Xfaxman for all of your help on this!

I feel like we are getting closer.

Best
S

·
Registered
842 Posts
Does the wiring from the B+ tap go straight to the VCIM?
I only know B+ has to be working for the CSI to work. never tried to find out why.

Thanks Xfaxman for all of your help on this!

I feel like we are getting closer.

Best
S
The signals you need come from the charger to the VCIM:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, a little update on my end.

To recap:
Charge Status Indicator (CSI) not functioning. Ranger charges fine, and no other known issues at this time.
I'm getting 12.3V from the constant power terminal (with the key off and removed)
All fuses (both the indicator 2A and the 2A fuses coming from the battery) are good

Via Grumpyb suggestion, I was able to use a 123A (3.7V) battery to verify that the CSI lights up green and then will light up red when the polarities are reversed. So, CSI Module is functions (it was also new)

Via Xfaxman suggestions, using an ohmmeter, I was able to verify good connection between the charger and the VCIM, then able to confirm good connection between the VCIM and CSI.

Given that the connection between VCIM and CSI is good, I'm reasonably confident that the output from the VCIM for the CSI is as follows:
I've been able to measure voltage at the CSI terminal (i.e. where the CSI module plugs into the dash) during charging (.35V flashing) and when complete (-.5V solid). So, I am getting output from the VCIM. Just that the voltage is low.

At this point it would be strange if it is anything other than the VCIM, given that this Ranger's previous owner was a retired Polaris Dealer who took really good care of the machine but to change out the VCIM just so the CSI works when everything else is functional, might be too much for the former owner to care.

However, I was thinking in due diligence I would test the voltage coming from the the charger going to the VCIM. I'm just not sure how best to do that. I'm unsure of the reprecussions of running the charger with Connector 'A' unplugged because of the temperature sensor, interlocks, etc. I just don't think I'd get anything either.

Would it be best to test it at the connection terminal block between the charger and the VCIM? (i.e. pin 11 & 12 on the VCIM terminal block). Is there any issue with running the deltaq charger with the VCIM unplugged?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
611 Posts
VCIM has no control of the charger. The interlock is used but also does nothing to the charger. . On the 8 way connector the pins f and g go to the VCIM 11(f) and 12 (g) to give the charge lights. This flows current in both directions to light up a bidirectional LED, so you can check voltages there as well. And at the VCIM end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts