Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a Wet Sounds sound bar and wanting to connect so power source coincides with ignition. Seems that I'll need to wire a pigtail to plug into an empty spot on pulsebar to limit power only with ignition on? However, I noticed that the dealer installed lightbar is also connected to the pulsebar, but can be turned on without ignition on. Just trying to get some suggestions. Not much out there I've been able to find that speaks directly to my issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
It depends how you wire it, where it gets it's power from and when it can be switched on, etc.

Pulse bar has 3 wires: 12V ignition, 12V battery, and ground

How much power does the sound bar use?

Also IME, it's best practice to wire audio sources (both positive and negative) directly to the battery to avoid ground loop and other noise issues related to wiring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends how you wire it, where it gets it's power from and when it can be switched on, etc.

Pulse bar has 3 wires: 12V ignition, 12V battery, and ground

How much power does the sound bar use?

Also IME, it's best practice to wire audio sources (both positive and negative) directly to the battery to avoid ground loop and other noise issues related to wiring.
I can't find the amperage, but says max output of 400 watts. That is a good idea to just hard wire to the battery. The unit has an on/off, so really shouldn't be a big deal to hook directly to the battery. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
537 Posts
400W is probably the measure of the "sound" of the system and not a true energy power rating, otherwise it uses over 30A. Does it come with an inline fuse on the power wire, that usually gives you an idea of how much draw it will have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
400W is probably the measure of the "sound" of the system and not a true energy power rating, otherwise it uses over 30A. Does it come with an inline fuse on the power wire, that usually gives you an idea of how much draw it will have?
Yes it does. 25 amp fuse. The battery is under the seat but there’s both a positive post on the bus bar, and then a ground jumper post as well. Can it be hooked to those up in the front compartment?

·
Registered
537 Posts
25A would be way too much for the ignition source so the only options are battery source direct, or through relay controlled by ignition - just to clear that part up.

As for connecting to the lines on the bus bar, that's no different than using a pulse plug. I'd personally not hook it up that way, but you can always change it later if it does end up with a noise issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to you both. I got to thinking that since the sound bar has a power button, I just made it easy and wired direct to the battery bypassing the need for a relay or anything like that. I'll just have to remember to always power down the sound bar so it is not drawing when not in use. Thanks again!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks to you both. I got to thinking that since the sound bar has a power button, I just made it easy and wired direct to the battery bypassing the need for a relay or anything like that. I'll just have to remember to always power down the sound bar so it is not drawing when not in use. Thanks again!
My wet sounds sound bar and sub are hard wired to the battery. The sound bar has an auto off feature (at least the 10 does) and the sub is connected via the remote wire and does the same thing. I haven’t had any issues with parasitic drain either. If you’re hell bent on using a relay, you can absolutely do it. I just think it’s easier to run straight to connect behind the 10mm +/- nuts (terminals) under the hood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts