Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Gas Automotive wheel system Font Machine Aluminium

The pocket on the bottom right is the ebs part of the helix. When you let off the gas the rollers slide down the ramp. Around 5mph, they kick back into that pocket and keep the secondary closed to assist engine breaking.

So when you come to a stop, the rollers are resting in that pocket. When you hit the gas to get going again, the rollers have to jump forward to the ramp. That, coupled with strait cut gears in the trans....make the rollers jump to the ramp quite abruptly. The pop your hearing specifically is the rollers making that jump to start climbing the ramps.

Lower more gradual engagement will let you ease into the throttle and quite it down some.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes. What year is your machine? You can buy a non ebs helix. But without eliminating the ebs in the primary it may crop up a bunch of other funky noises...belt squak... when you let off the throttle. I haven't tested....so I can't give you a solid answer.

Have you installed the clutch kit yet?

·
Registered
591 Posts
In that case no. Not without changing the primary to a non ebs.
Max, another member on here was experimenting with helix angles on his 21 Northstar and tried tried a non ebs helix and said it made a bunch of belt noise.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Nothing wrong with AA's stuff. I'm currently running a set of there weights.

I do like the idea of the torque monster weights for the average guy though. Lots of heel weight built into them. Which will provide excellent belt grip down low where needed. Like his add says. If you burn a belt, somethings wrong. This should help a bunch for people who have a heavier machine or payload. Will take the guesswork out of getting the weights set up just right. Plus they have replaceable pin bushings which most dont. I had to toss a set of weights in the trash recently because the hole in the weight was egged out at 4000 miles. The bushings should last a good 2500 miles....but are replaceable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts