Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm newbie here looking for some help. My belt was slipping so I changed it out and cleaned the clutches the best I could. Ran it for a few short rides and the belt started slipping again. So I put the ranger on blocks and took cover off of belt to watch the clutches to make sure they are functioning like I think they should and they look like they are. But when I accelerate it faster the rear end pops and jerks at about 3200 rpm's. What could be causing the belt to slip if the clutches are opening and closing and it's a new belt? Also what would cause the popping and jerking?
Thanks,
Colby

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2011 ranger crew 500, around 1600 miles. I think the popping and jerking at 3200 rpm's is it's jumping into 4 wheel drive. I noticed that the front tires left a black mark on the floor in my garage and I didn't have it in 4wheel drive.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sounds like you have a front diff issue and not necessarily a clutch issue. Sounds like your diff is intermittently engaging.

Possible broken Sprague cage or just dirty fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it's front diff. Reason I say that is the belt doesn't slip right after I changed the belt and cleaned the clutches. It ran fine for about 4 days and I only used it sparingly. Once it started slipping again I checked it and cleaned the clutches again and it ran fine for a few days. Then started slipping again. Well that's just my opinion because it revs up really high and barely gets moving and if there is a hill I have to put in low and hope I make it up.

·
Registered
937 Posts
10-4. Your clutches are probably shot with that many miles. Could be either one. But suspect the sliders on your secondary are shot hanging up on your helix. Either that or the spider assembly is shot in the primary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts