Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed this spacer and Have you had any problems. Might be taking mine out this week.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I keep thinking about it as well. let us know how it goes if you do..

·
Registered
507 Posts
I took mine out just recently. I have not had much ride time since doing it, but so far the only noticable differrence was an increase of about 7 MPH. Other than the increase in top end speed, you would never know the spacer was removed.

I did opt to remove the spacer intact rather than break it out, just in case I ever did encounter any issues and wanted to put it back in.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The RZR has a plastic spacer in the primary clutch that prevents the clutch from closing all the way. By removing this spacer, the belt rides higher on the primary and lower on the secondary, thus increasing speed.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've followed a few of these threads elsewhere and apparently it MAY be beneficial for those who want and can use the additional top speed.

I don't believe it makes any difference in how fast your machine will get to the top or has any affect in lower speed conditions. It simply allows your belt to ride a bit higher and your machine will go a bit faster before it hits the rev limiter.

Warranty issues could come into play with modifications such as this so be aware and be careful.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Most warranty issues are determined by your dealer. Just make sure he has no problem with any mods before you do them.
I get a real kick out of all the fancy air intake mods being touted as the way to go. When you find that your mod voided your warranty and you are left rebuilding your motor on your dime you won't feel so smart.

·
Registered
75 Posts
some of our dealers down here in the south was the ones who told us about the mod.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That happens all the time! The mechanic at the dealership discovers a tweek and tells others how to make their machines perform a little better.
Then a customer who heard about the tweek from a buddy comes in with a blown top end or tranny and and claims the breakdown is from the tweek he heard the mechanic told them about.

Now the Polaris rep shows up and says that is not an approved tweek and Polaris will not cover the damages caused by doing it. Been there! Done that! and bought the T shirt!

I was the GM in a rather active shop and had to lay the law down to more then a couple good mechanics!

We ate many denied warranty claims because they did not conform to the accepted standards.

All I am saying is be absolutely certain your dealer has your back when you do modifications if you expect Polaris to cover the results under the warranty.

Look at these things from a completely different perspective. Polaris or any manufacturer does not want to buy your repairs. They all look for an easy out such as the owner caused this problem by abuse or modification.

If you think for one minute that Polaris or Yamaha would approve of you snorkeling your air system or adding a nitrous tank to gain HP then you are clearly mistaken!

Was an RZR ever designed to have 29.5 tires?

Were they designed to have 2, 4, or 6 inch lift kits?

Were they ever designed to have K & N filters?

I refuse to go in to the fights I had while working in the shop but I am speaking from PURE experience as to what the manufacturers said when stuff went wrong.

I can lead my horse to the water but I can't make him drink!

Gary

·
Registered
635 Posts
I guess where I got lucky was it's my dealer that did my intake change, and they've been hounding me to let them take of the spacer. Guess I'm covered as both my razors have the five year plan..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That my friend is Perfection!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Warranty is another reason I took my spacer out in one piece. If for some reason I need to take it in for warranty work, I can put the spacer back in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I'm not a speed demon and I really don't think the extra 5 to 7 mph is worth it.
Read many posts on other forums about the spacer removal and no one ever reported a problem. The only thing I have done to mine is remove the spark arrester to allow it to breath just a bit better. I remove them from my chain saws, generators, etc., and have never had a problem. The way I figure it is that the spark arrester(s) are put there only because of OSHA or some other agency regulations and not to improve performance. As far as other mods, I don't think I'm smarter than the engineers who designed the thing.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Good one Larry! "I don't think I'm smarter than the engineers who designed the thing".

I also think if they made a machine that would do 90 MPH that many would be trying to get to 100!

It's all fine with me but then so is the 55 I can hardly ever get to on my RZR.

I get a laugh from the spark arrestor on the RZR because if you get some leaves up on the pipes where they come out of the engine you can start a nice camp fire.

We seem to have more fun just putting along and enjoying the scenery and once in a while if we find a good spot to blast through then we go back a few times.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey BigDog, have you pulled that spacer yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
in this subject i would really think about the type of riding u do. i buy alot of my parts and such from a fab shop that i trust and they do alot of racing with the RZRs they build. the owner informed me that for racing and dunes this is a good mod but if you do any kind of 4 wheeling (rocks washes etc) b very very careful. it causes a lil to much movement in the belt and WILL destroy it. have seen it and it will ruin a weekend of fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Well, I'm not a speed demon and I really don't think the extra 5 to 7 mph is worth it.
Read many posts on other forums about the spacer removal and no one ever reported a problem. The only thing I have done to mine is remove the spark arrester to allow it to breath just a bit better. I remove them from my chain saws, generators, etc., and have never had a problem. The way I figure it is that the spark arrester(s) are put there only because of OSHA or some other agency regulations and not to improve performance. As far as other mods, I don't think I'm smarter than the engineers who designed the thing."

Removing the spark arrester???? WTF! Hope you dont like riding near where I am. I dont like chared ruins to ride in. Leave the spark arrester alone. You will not gain much if any performance by removing it and you wont have to worry about buring the forest you ride in! :knuppel2:

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't know where that spark arrestor issue came from, but I did log for nine years and even on private ground and with snow on the ground, none of the fallers took the spark arrestor off. It is just a screen on the exhaust output, if it is getting plugged up, you are having serious problems and they have nothing to do with the spark arrestor. By the way that is a USFS and BLM requirement, a hefty fine is levied during fire season. Round track racing might gain you a few hundreths of a second but I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts