Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a UTV. I am considering the Can Am Defender HD8 and the Ranger 1000. I really like the Ranger 1000 and there is a good review video on youtube that I enjoyed a lot from 4M Farms I think. However one of the things he pointed out that he didn't like and I would have to agree is the problem with mud and muck that gets kicked up under the compartment under the seat. I see the Can Am has that all sealed off with deflectors so that isn't an issue on the Defender and it does not have an under seat area that is open to the back like the Ranger. Does anyone know of an add on accessory that is available to seal that area off so that this does not happen?

My interest in the machine is work on the farm. The machine won't be used for play. Most of the work that gets done is slow speed, pulling heavy weight, moving trailers, large round bales of hay and feed, fire wood, rock, dirt etc. I honestly don't care about "how fast they can go". I see the marketing of the Ranger 1000 says that the torque is down lower in the RPM band around 3500 rpm. How smooth is the 1000 when trying to do delicate slow speed things like lining up and backing up to a trailer to connect? How does it handle hill dissent? Things like that? I had heard that the 1000XP is rather jumpy and lurchy so I wondered if the regular 1000 has been tamed so that these sorts of tasks are more doable? How quiet in the new 1000? I would really like to be able to start up the UTV and go get things done without the noise. To be able to carry on a conversation and normal speaking levels when using the machine.

I know this is a Ranger forum but curious if anyone else has compared these two machines and what your impressions were. I see something about the 2021 they strengthened the frame and the front end. I also heard they had done a lot of work to change the clutches in 2021. What is everyone's experience so far with the new clutches? Was there a problem with the previous year front end? Would it be worth the risk to buy a 2020 for additional savings or do you recommend getting the 2021?

I apologize for all the questions. I am sure lots of people come on the forums and as lots of noob questions. I looked for as many videos and reviews as I could find online for the Ranger 1000 and there really isn't much out there from actual owners. The Ranger 1000 marketing that it is tuned for lower RPM power is very appealing to me so I would love to get your feedback. Most of the stuff I have been able to find is all dealers doing a walk around or the stuff from TFLoffoad, but that stuff isn't all that useful. I want to hear actual owners telling me about their experiences and observations. So that brought me here to see if current owners might be able to help. Thanks in advance.

Malcolm

·
Registered
26 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with all the deflectors is if water or muck can get behind them, it will rust. At least with it open, you can clean it and water will not stand.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar
194 Posts
Is that your only concern? That’s nothing.
I have a ranger northstar and my neighbour just bought a canham defender 1000 Ltd side by side totally comparable inside the ranger is nicer. The ranger is quieter. The ranger ride command is better. I wouldn’t buy a can am. I would suggest you font either. But that’s your choice.

edit:both units are camo crew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts