Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2013 Polaris Ranger 400 and at 50 hours changed the oil, air filter, transmission fluid and air filter with OEM parts (paid through the nose for these). No problems. After 100 hours of granny driving, the POS just quit. I had Pocono Motorsports pick it up to see what was wrong and John (service) told me it was hydrolocked with 2 quarts of extra fluid in the oil crankcase. Pistons were scored and the cylinders were badly scored. He filed a complaint with Polaris but told them that there was only a "coffee cup" extra fluid in the crankcase. I called Polaris customer service to check on the complaint after two weeks of getting nowhere. They said that the damage was due to operator issues of undefiled oil! Jerks at customer service know only one response "operator error". Now I am faced with a bill for $5500 for just parts to fix a $9000 machine. NEVER BUY ONE OF THESE PIECES OF JUNK!!!! Do your homework. There is a reason why Polaris has an F rating with the Better Business Bureau. The web is full of descriptions where these POSs fall apart, spontaneously catch fire and otherwise just die. They are cheap machines that are cheaply built to get your money and promptly fall apart. Also, don't buy anything from Pocono Motorsports. They are a rip-off joint that lie to you to get you off their back. Even their service chief says that Polaris machines are junk but people still buy them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow the trolls are thick in here today. unsubstantiated first post crapola followed up within an hour by another troll with 3 posts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trolls?

Wow the trolls are thick in here today. unsubstantiated first post crapola followed up within an hour by another troll with 3 posts.
So what kind of person would automatically characterize someone as a troll when they have a bad experience and want others to be informed of their misfortune? If you want to substantiate my claim, talk to Pocono Motorsports and ask them why my 100 hour Ranger is now a 1000 lb piece of lawn ornament. Look in the mirror sometime and try to figure out why you are obnoxious for no reason.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So what kind of person would automatically characterize someone as a troll when they have a bad experience and want others to be informed of their misfortune? If you want to substantiate my claim, talk to Pocono Motorsports and ask them why my 100 hour Ranger is now a 1000 lb piece of lawn ornament. Look in the mirror sometime and try to figure out why you are obnoxious for no reason.
Guess my question is, Who put 2 extra quarts of oil in it?? I believe that ANY engine if over filled with oil will have problems.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
They don't automatically make 'extra fluid in the oil crankcase' by granny driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil level

First story from John at Pocono Motorsports was that 2 quarts of fuel leaked through the carburetor into the oil and the engine hydrolocked. When I checked with Polaris customer service, they told me that he told them that there was only a little extra fluid in the crankcase, but the engine damage was due to a lack of oil! Can't figure out who is the worst liar between the two of them. Every time I checked the engine oil, the level was within the limits. Guess I have magic oil that appears and disappears and then reappears.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bought a 2013 Polaris Ranger 400 and at 50 hours changed the oil, air filter, transmission fluid and air filter with OEM parts (paid through the nose for these). No problems. After 100 hours of granny driving, the POS just quit. I had Pocono Motorsports pick it up to see what was wrong and John (service) told me it was hydrolocked with 2 quarts of extra fluid in the oil crankcase. Pistons were scored and the cylinders were badly scored. He filed a complaint with Polaris but told them that there was only a "coffee cup" extra fluid in the crankcase. I called Polaris customer service to check on the complaint after two weeks of getting nowhere. They said that the damage was due to operator issues of undefiled oil! Jerks at customer service know only one response "operator error". Now I am faced with a bill for $5500 for just parts to fix a $9000 machine. NEVER BUY ONE OF THESE PIECES OF JUNK!!!! Do your homework. There is a reason why Polaris has an F rating with the Better Business Bureau. The web is full of descriptions where these POSs fall apart, spontaneously catch fire and otherwise just die. They are cheap machines that are cheaply built to get your money and promptly fall apart. Also, don't buy anything from Pocono Motorsports. They are a rip-off joint that lie to you to get you off their back. Even their service chief says that Polaris machines are junk but people still buy them.
Who did the oil change, you or the dealer?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune. I believe Jorts was refering to me as a troll as well from another post. Seems his panties may be a wee bit too tight. Polaris can do no wrong in his eyes and thats great for them both. I do not own a Polaris yet nor do I own a competitor so I believe I can look at this with an eyes wide open view. Good luck to you in resolving this. I hope you haven't given up yet.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
So you are mad because you did an oil change, overfilled it, and it quit running. That's completely on you for not doing the oil change properly, and Polaris has every right to not warranty your claim. You did the oil change, you overfilled it by not properly checking the oil level in the process or checking the manual to see the proper quantity of oil needed.

Engines don't make their own oil as you drive them, so you overfilled it, and it ran for a while afterwards. During which time you caused severe internal engine damage by your negligence in the oil change process.

Any vehicle that is overfilled with oil (brand irrelevant and vehicle type irrelevant) will not run properly and can and in most cases if let go will cause engine damage.

The product is fine, and sounds to me like you probably had no business doing any maintenance on the vehicle in the first place since you managed to overfill it by quite a bit which is the only way its going to hydro-lock from being overfilled is by dumping quite a bit of extra oil into the engine. An extra cup of oil in the engine won't cause a hydro-lock. You must have dumped in an extra quart at least, of you use the jugs of oil rather than bottles and dumped in the whole jug rather than properly measuring it out according to the manual.

Polaris doesn't have an "F" rating with the BBB, maybe your dealer does though. Polaris as a whole is a great company providing vehicles to many different customers whether it be ATV's or snowmobiles.

Your dealer on the other hand seems to be ripping you off at $5500 for a little bit of light engine work sounds like your problem is the dealer. Did you contact Polaris directly about the matter?

If you really did overfill the vehicle with oil, and drove it for another 50 hours before it hydro-locked you have larger problems to explain. An engine severely overfilled with oil would have hydro-locked quite fast, not several hours later. Is there coolant in your oil? Is your coolant level low? There's definitely an issue if you did do a proper oil change and suddenly there's too much oil...as in someone either added oil without you knowing it, or you have a blown head gasket causing coolant to leak into the engine thus overfilling the crankcase and causing your hydro-lock issue. Something wasn't done properly, whether it was your oil/filter change, or not we don't know because we weren't there when you performed the service.

Since you stated that after about 100 hours it quit running, it sounds like a major fail somewhere and I'm guessing it had nothing to do with your oil change. Unless you used the wrong oil...which if you got it at the dealer they should know and have given you the correct oil.

Give us an update from the dealer as to what exactly the diagnosis is. $5500 in repairs doesn't sound right at all.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune. I believe Jorts was refering to me as a troll as well from another post. Seems his panties may be a wee bit too tight. Polaris can do no wrong in his eyes and thats great for them both. I do not own a Polaris yet nor do I own a competitor so I believe I can look at this with an eyes wide open view. Good luck to you in resolving this. I hope you haven't given up yet.
I free ball- impossible for tight panties. I was not referring to you at all. Polaris can do PLENTY wrong and has really ticked me off in the past on the sled side. Carry on.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
The way I read this he did not over fill the machine with oil, but it leached
fuel from the pistons, down into oil reservoir, causing an over fill condition.
This could very easily happen, and I would have to say I am sorry to see this
take place, and cause so much bitterness, as well as confusion.

·
Registered
871 Posts
This is why I ride mine like I stole it, everyone that has problems says they were riding like a grandmother.
Yes it sounds like the float stuck, and the gas filled the crankcase. The problem with this theory, is that the gas tank on the ranger is lower than the carb so this didn't happen overnight. This was happening every time you shut it off. I will admit that I am bad at checking the oil every time I ride. It's always something that gets forgotten, but this problem has been building for probably the last ten times u rode it. And I fully agree that $5500 for a new motor is way to much, go find an engine builder it your area, u should be able to get it all dun for less than half that much.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There has to be something missing here. The Ranger 400 operates from a dry sump system, with the oil reservoir located under the seat, driver's side. While it is possible to overfill, it will not hold two additional quarts of anything. If, as JAB has said, he put 100 hours on the machine from the last oil change, an overfill situation just isn't possible as trouble would have shown up right away.

The only other fluid that could have caused this is the coolant. A blown head gasket or cracked block would have introduced significant coolant into the system. If the engine hydro-locked, the failure would have been catastrophic were the engine running as JAB has indicated. Something would have broke, the connecting rod bent or even sent through the block. I've seen it happen! JAB does not indicate this.

The fact that the piston and cylinder were scored is a classic symptom of an oil failure of lack of oil. Dilution from a faulty or defect in the carburetor is a definite possibility, but there would have been symptoms long before failure. As the oil thinned to water the engine would have been smoking and flooding out from excess fuel. A stuck float in the carburetor would definitely cause this, but the fuel flow would stop once the engine was turned off. Starting the engine again would have been a challenge as there would have been backfiring, smoking and sputtering. The engine, if it ran, would only do so at full throttle. JAB would have known something was very, very wrong. Been there, done that, thank you very much!

This leaves two other possibilities that would fit JAB"S senario best: The oil pump failed or lost it's prime; JEB either forgot to add oil or used the wrong oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts