Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already converted my winch to the 3" webbing and absolutely eliminated the problem with the 1/4" steel cable getting unwound and tangled. I've been pushing snow for 2 years now and had great luck with the rig until the other day when I was plowing, the webbing came loose on the winch shaft. The webbing had a squared off sewn end for a loop and I had actually put a 1/4" allen wrench through the loop and stuck the short end of the allen wrench through the hole on the shaft...which is in the neighborhood of 1' diameter. I backed the strap all the way out (about 15' length) and found that the loop in the end of the strap was torn part way, maybe a inch and come loose. To get a quick fix, I turned the strap over, put the allen wrench through what loop was left and stuck the short end of the wrench through the 1/4" hole on the shaft and rewound it as tight as I could by hand. This allowed me to finish my plowing but I now have a weak place in my rig that I don't feel good about.
How have others attached this webbing to their winches? I'm even considering tearing the winch completely down and taking the shaft to a machine shop with a mill that can put another 1/4" hole on the oposite end of the shft that is exposed when the winch is fully assembled and ready to work. This would allow me to fashion 1/4" steel rod into a Square U, so to speak, resew a new loop in the strap, put the square u 1/4" rod through it and then it will be held equally on both sides of the "drum" shaft and then rewound on the winch. Mechanical minds shouldn't have too much problem understanding what I'm considering but I'm open to anything. That shaft is very smooth and the nylon belting just can't get a grip on it.
I'll include some pics here of my rig, I really like the 2 to 1 advantage I've gained by building my own snatch block for lifting the plow.
Any comments are welcomed and will be appreciated! Sorry, I can't get a good pic of the winch drum ;)
KIKNBK
2017 XP1000 single seat Ranger
Automotive tire Hood Light Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Grille Office equipment Bumper Laptop Automotive exterior
Tread Automotive tire Fixture Gas Composite material

· Registered
31 Posts
I've been thinking about going from a rope to a strap . A couple questions-
Is 15' about all you can get on the winch spool? It would be nice to have more if needed.
Has anybody used a strap with a rope fairlead? I could convert to a roller type fairlead if I had to, I have the parts.
I really like your snatch block reduction, slowing down the lift would make fine adjustments that much easier.
TIA

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely TIA, yep 15-20’ is the max length of strap that will fit on the Polaris winch, somewhat depending on the thickness of your strap. And yes, it does limit the amount of length that you’re allowed when needing to pull some kind of load. I do carry two extra 20 foot straps that have hooks on both ends which gives me about 50 feet of length to pull.
As you can see, the roller fair lead works great with the strap and the roller snatch block I put together mates well with it. BTW, if you’re interested in making a snatch block like that just Google for a gate roller… That’s what I found online. It’s a roller that goes on the bottom of gates that roll left to right when opening rather than swinging on hinges. It’s called a slide gate guide roller 3 inch black hard nylon made by Eagle Rollers EG103 and sold by Gate Operators Direct. I actually bought it through Amazon. I welded that shortened eye bolt to the roller bracket.
Good luck with your mod.
KIKNBK

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very ingenious setup. Possible idea to secure the strap to eliminate the Allen wrench and web loop attachment?

View attachment 29644
This is an interesting approach...having to mill that shaft to countersink the flat stock might be insurmountable as I will need to get that done at a machine shop. Your suggestion of drill and taping into the drum though is something I can do here in my shop. Then, I would only have to drill the flat steel strap to line up with the holes in the drum, countersink for the flat head screws on the metal strap and heat/puncture the 3 or 4 holes in the nylon webbing. Then place the flat strap and screws over the nylon strap and pinch it down.
Thanks for that one Larry...this could be a solution to my problem.
KIKNBK

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you look at the commercial replacement options, they usually have a short length of regular winch rope to tie in like normal and transition to the strap. I would duplicate that, or just purchase one of those if your solution eventually fails.

Example from @SuperATV
Another good idea, but how do you secure the "rope" end to the shaft? That drum is very smooth...I guess I could ream out the hole through the drum and then tie to it that way?

· Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger XP 1000 NorthStar crew
295 Posts
If you look at the commercial replacement options, they usually have a short length of regular winch rope to tie in like normal and transition to the strap. I would duplicate that, or just purchase one of those if your solution eventually fails.

Example from @SuperATV
I just ordered that tonight. Hopefully it’ll do the job and unlike using the rope it doesn’t get all messed up!

· Registered
815 Posts
Another good idea, but how do you secure the "rope" end to the shaft? That drum is very smooth...I guess I could ream out the hole through the drum and then tie to it that way?
The winch drum should already have a spot for the rope (either cable or synthetic) to mount. Different brands do it differently, but since you mention a hole already that you put the allen wrench in it is probably at least similar to mine. For mine the hole in the drum is small on one side and flared to a larger hole on the opposite side. The rope goes through the small hole, doubles over a ball (like a ball bearing BB) and goes back into the flare. Then as the line is pulled tight, the ball holds the rope from pulling back through.

Similar to this image

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, I see now…thanks for the pic. I will look very closely at what is available commercially. Thanks gentlemen!
KIKNBK
I'm going on 3 years with an old length of ratchet strap I had hanging in the garage. Everyone has one of those laying around.
Absolutely, we kinda accumulate such items, don’t we? Thanks Spaz

· Registered
217 Posts
I went for 3 years with a 20 ft boat winch strap on my winch just a piece if ductape holding it to the drum 😂. It was perfectly fine it even had enough hold when i snapped the strap by the hook from holding the in button accidentally

1 - 14 of 14 Posts