Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger XP1000 Northstar Ultimate
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a KATS coolant heater for the 1" coolant line that runs from the lower radiator outlet to the block and was going to install it today. After looking through the parts catalogue I finally located the hose where it hooks to the engine. You can almost see it with a mirror....almost!

It appears that about the only way to get to the hose is to pull the exhaust off and I'm not going there.

Any other ideas on how to add some sort of a block or coolant heater to the Northstar Crew cabs. I'd sure like to be able to warm this up on the super cold winter days.

· Registered
2020 Polaris 1000xp North Star
105 Posts
I just got the same 1” KATS heater also. I seen one guy installed his on the line going into the engine block like your talking about. I’m thinking about installing mine by the front right tire at the lower radiator hose. I’m hoping it will circulate enough to warm the engine. I’ve kind of ruled out putting it close to the engine block because my wife uses the ranger for feeding the horses and I’m worried that loose hay might end up getting into contact with the heater and cause a fire.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got the same 1” KATS heater also. I seen one guy installed his on the line going into the engine block like your talking about. I’m thinking about installing mine by the front right tire at the lower radiator hose. I’m hoping it will circulate enough to warm the engine. I’ve kind of ruled out putting it close to the engine block because my wife uses the ranger for feeding the horses and I’m worried that loose hay might end up getting into contact with the heater and cause a fire.
I looked at the location that you mentioned. My first thought is that the warm water is going to travel up into the radiator core and never make it to the engine. :( The plan as it stands right now is to ship the heater back to NAPA.

· Registered
105 Posts
I’m going to give it a try at the lower radiator hose. They work on cars and pickups so I’m going to try it. If it don’t work there I’ll get a new lower hose or a 1” coupler to patch the hose and move it close to the block. It’s a 2016 900 and it stays out side all the time and the -20 days are getting hard on it so I think even a little warmth is better than none.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m going to give it a try at the lower radiator hose. They work on cars and pickups so I’m going to try it. If it don’t work there I’ll get a new lower hose or a 1” coupler to patch the hose and move it close to the block. It’s a 2016 900 and it stays out side all the time and the -20 days are getting hard on it so I think even a little warmth is better than none.
On mine, the rubber hose and metal pipe that runs under the floor are the lowest points of the cooling system. Thats why I think all the warm water will rise up into the radiator.

I hate having to start it on those cold morning and let it idle for a half hour to get a little heat in the cab.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I returned the KATS heater and now I'm looking at this brand that has a built in pump and installs in the heater hose.

ATV Block Heater.

The company representative says to put it here. Interested in your thoughts and comments. Spaz? Toxic21? Big Blue?

Coil Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Engineering

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After reading all of your replies and stories it sure makes me happy that I keep my 2022 Ultimate crew in my shop. Call me wimpy but warm :)
I am considering adding another stall the the garage just for the Polaris, the plow & the two snow blowers.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
That should work fine in that location.

I don't have factory heat. But Installed an inferno heater in my machine. During the colder months....I run a piece of cardboard over half of the radiator. Helps bring the temp up quicker. Never had an overheating issue doing so.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That should work fine in that location.

I don't have factory heat. But Installed an inferno heater in my machine. During the colder months....I run a piece of cardboard over half of the radiator. Helps bring the temp up quicker. Never had an overheating issue doing so.
Thanks for the info Spaz.

Do you know if the heater valve changes position when the ignition is turned off & on or does it stay in the position that is selected by the knob? That would probably not be a good thing if the coolant couldn't circulate.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. Going to play around a bit tomorrow & maybe make a run over to the dealer and visit with the techs.

· Registered
105 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Shock absorber

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Asphalt Hood

Installed the heater on the lower radiator hose, worked great heating the antifreeze, but it wouldn’t circulate through the system only heated the radiator. Moved it the the inlet hose next to the engine. It was 2 degrees today and I turned the key on and the engine heat was at 115 degrees. It fired right up. So I guess it’s doing what it was mean to do, wish it circulated better but it will do for what I need. The one with the pump might be the ticket, but cost twice as much.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was planning on installing the KATS heater in the lower hose like you did in the second photo. I can just barely see the hose with a mirror due to all the heat shields, exhaust system and A/C compressor. The hose design is different that your too because of the A/C taking up all that open space. :(

· Registered
105 Posts
Yep I have a 2020 Northstar it’s tight right there, the 2020 stays in the heated garage so I’m not really looking at a block heater for it. The 2016 900xp stays out in the barn for chores so that‘s why I installed it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts