Polaris Ranger Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2020 Polaris 1000xp North Star
117 Posts
Was just looking at the 2020 and I think taking off the skid plate and tackling it from the bottom is your best bet. If I was going to do that I would install a self adhesive heat pad on the oil pan.

· Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger XP1000 Northstar Ultimate
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I was looking at the stick on pads yesterday. Definitely worth dropping the skid plate to take a look to see if one could be added.

The idea of adding an additional garage stall is looking better every day! (Probably easier too)

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If your like me, I never think of this kind of stuff when it‘s warm and sunny. Wait tell it’s zero that’s a better time to enjoy and appreciate your work.
That's for sure. The Polaris sat there in the driveway all spring summer & fall of this year and adding some sort of coolant or oil pan heater never crossed my mind until a few weeks ago when the temps dropped to the single digits.

Last winter I never thought about it because I was still working full time and rarely had any spare time to put the plow on and use the Ranger. If it was cold and snowing I was out at 2 AM clearing the local airport. Plowing more snow was the last thing I wanted to do when I'd get home. Fast forward to May of this year...I decided to throw in the towel & retire for the 4th time. Now I have way to much free time to think about stuff! I should probably just go back to work. Staying home is expensive.

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Are you guys having a hard time with them starting? Or just wanting heat a little quicker?
Mine has been starting fine. I just don't like starting an engine when it is super cold outside, and I'd like to have heat in the cab sooner.

· Premium Member
2022 NS Trail Boss
251 Posts
Thank you all for your insights and photographs in considering the installation of an aftermarket engine heater.

The January 2022 service manual ( PN 9940281 R01) offers a diagram of the cooling system on pager 3.99:

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Drawing

Page 3.102 provides the Cooling System Bleeding Procedure.

Font Material property Parallel Paper Pattern

· Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger XP 1000 NorthStar crew
294 Posts
I know this is an older post, but was hoping that I could find out exactly which heater you’ve used, and where you installed it on your machine. I have a 21 NorthStar crew. It was -14 here today in Wyoming when I remote started my Ranger, and usually gets much colder in February. I just don’t like starting it when it so darn cold.

· Registered
2020 Polaris 1000xp North Star
117 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Asphalt Hood
Installed a Kat’s 1” in-line heater on the inlet line next to the block. I tried it on the lower radiator hose at the bottom of the radiator, but it wouldn’t circulate it back to the block. It heats it up to 100 in about 30 min and it fires up every time on first crank. This is installed on my 2016 900xp that has 14,000 miles on it, it stays out side all the time and needed some extra help because western Wyoming gets cold to. -15 with 20 mph wind today. I’m not sure if a in line heater would be that essay to install on my 2020 1000xp Northstar with all the extra hoses and piping, a heating pad on the oil pan might be better way to go for the newer machines. You would probably need to get to it from the bottom by loosening or removing the skid plate.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts