Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my winter project for my UHMW full skid plate is finished. I didn't like any of the manufactured skid plates and their pricing and shipping cost were way to pricey.

Off to the plastic store and picked up a 4x8 sheet 3/8 UHMW and started to rip and tare. One major mod I did was to cut out the bulge in the metal skid plate under the motor. I had already dented it in on a big rock. I cut out a 6"x18" strip and flatten the rest, than welded in some 3/16" flat bar in its place making it flat across the bottom.

I ended up making it in 3 pieces as I wanted to go completely across from rocker to rocker. I than used 2"x 1/8" angle iron as a frame for the front leading edge and along the rocker panel. This made for a nice clean and functional rocker guard. I than also removed the black plastic inner fender piece and welded in a piece of 2" angle in place of it.

It took lots of cutting, bending and welding as well as drilling and taping to get every thing to fit into place but in the end it turned out great.

The sheet of UHMW cost me about $300 and about $50 in steel and hardware.























 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
gap filler

I used 1/2" split pipe wrap and the newer wrap has adhesive tape on the split now too. I've also used the 3/4" for a few other spots for my skid plate. Works slick and its cheap as well and easy to remove for washing or what ever.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had looked at the trail armor but it was a lot of money and the shipping was way too much. The other thing I didn't like was the big holes in their skid plate. I know from my factory skid plate getting ripped up from big sticks and or rocks getting caught in them, I did want that happening again. I know it does make it a little harder to wash out but that's why I tried to seal up the front better. Rear mud blockers are going to be the next thing to make and it should basically eliminate that problem.

The next thing was I needed was good rocker sliders since the first day out I cracked both sides at the rear just form basic trail riding coming down on rocks and stumps due to big ruts. I also needed to retain the 60" width so the machine could still fit into the box of my truck.

Good rear mud blockers are my next project.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top