Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 polaris ranger 800xp cuts out after riding a short distance it acts like it is loosing fuel so i put a new pump on it i rode it again and the same thing happened i checked the fuel pressure and the pressure is 45 to 46 lbs solid does anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
442 Posts
Is the tank vent clear? Easy to check by riding with the gas cap cracked or off. You might OHM the coils, and through some rubbing alcohol in the tank incase you have watery fuel. Spark plugs will also behave this way if one is going bad on you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the tank vent and I have new plugs in it I checked the plug wires and one ohmed 6.95 and the other would hardly read but still fires through it---still guessing

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just bought a 2011 Ranger 800 XP three weeks ago. We took it up to Coyote with some friends in their Rhino, had no problems what so ever on that trip.
A week ago I was out driving the powerline Rd. when it cut out a few times, it seemed to quit if I gave it some throttle, and shortly the problem ceased to occur.
Then today we took it up Silver canyon, which is about the same elevation gain as the Coyote trip. The last half of the climb is pretty steep and makes for some hard work on the machine.
At about 9000 feet it gave like a hiccup .. and was running fine until around 9200 feet, it started cutting out, I could give it throttle again, and it would run evenly, but would start cutting out again, until at one point it died.
I restarted it, it started just fine and would idle no problem. As soon as I tried to throttle up and move forward, it would die, and would restart and idle.
We turned around, and at first it refused to have any throttle even going down hill. Until some distance down the hill it started running again with throttle.
Back in 2004 when I bought my Sportsman 600, I had the dealer rejet it for higher altitude, being it was carburated. I know the Ranger is fuel injected. I was wondering at first was it an altitude problem.
But after thinking on it some and reading posts here, I am thinking it is a vapor lock thing. The machine was working pretty good pulling the hill in low gear. This would explain today's episode, but not sure it explains the powrline Rd episode, as that ride was flat, and not really a hot day.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 800 xp that was doing this same thing and I found that the wires that are hooked to the pto injector were breaking. The pto injector is the one on the driver side of the motor.

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK so I found on mine ... the TPS (throttle Positioning Sensor) had some chafing of the wire harness for it. Not sure if they were chafed through the individual wire's insulation yet, but once I placed a piece of pip insulation between the harness and the starter motor (where they were rubbing on), the problem of cutting out quit. Worth a check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the information I checked mine and about 6 inches from the plug two wires was rubbed through to copper i repaired them and added a heat shield around the wires and no more cutting out (been trying to figure it out for several months lol)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts