Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ranger EV with less than 50 hours on it. Already had the voltage reducer fail and Replaced with newer model (known issue). Today I got in it and the High-Temp light is on and no power. Controller is flashing 8 times. Power to controller is over 50 volts. Isolator is latching fine. Don't see how it can be a heat issue beings it just came off charge and not been run for 24 hours. Looked up controller and found that pin 13 is for temp sensor. Traced wire and it goes to small gauge plug on motor. Wire is black w/ white trace. Tested resistance to ground and its open. Not even sure if the light is for temp on motor, controller, or batteries. Has anyone had this issue this is the second time this machine has taken a crap on me. Always when I need it most. I made a huge mistake buying this garbage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For sale

Still looking for suggestions. It's a 2011 model. 44 hours on the machine. Custom top built from marine plastic (king Starboard) with rear gun rack. Been garage kept so camo isn't faded a bit. Paid $1099. First $7500 takes it like is. That's assuming the motor controller will have to be sent to Sevcon for repair. May be simple fix though which, if so, is just an added bonus to the buyer as I allowed $1500 in my asking price. The controller is $1700 high retail to replace. See no reason it can't be repaired though if indeed that is the problem. . Batteries are in excellent shape. Topped off regularly. Has never been lower than 50% battery level. Also has additional group 27 AGM battery (Stinger SPP1700) with Guest intelligent charger installed for lighting, winch, acc or backup to another failed voltage reducer. The top is worth $350 in materials alone. All stainless hardware. The aux battery setup is over $400 in materials alone. It's mounted between frame under hood (welded in support and holder).

I loved the machine when it worked. Obviously only 44 hours. Total up my losses though and it's going to cost me well over $250 an hour for time used. Polaris should be ashamed of this. I'm more than average when it comes to mechanical and electrical knowledge and I can't troubleshoot this unit. Main reason is that it's basically all Sevcon when it comes to the electronics and they require a can bus diagnostics tool to find exact problem. These controllers are used for numerous applications and vary on installation types. There's not specific inputs/outputs as they can be changed for different applications during programming. I refuse to own something I can't fix myself. Especially when the manufacturer (Polaris) scared to give it a warranty over 6mos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update - Buyer beware

Well I found the problem. As suspected it was the thermosistor on the electric motor. After doing research on the motor, I found the correct resistance for normal operation. Found the thermosistor wires coming from motor and disconnected from motor controller. Installed resistor with proper value and wham! Ranger is up and running with no motor issues. No overheating, no excessive current drain.
THIS IS THE KICKER. The thermosistor is built inside the motor coil therefore it is not a serviceable part. Therefore the only fix is to bypass or replace the $2800 motor. Another brain fart for the Ranger EV. This will be my final parting with Polaris Industries. After owning 5 different machines over the past 10 years, I have reached my boiling point. I will be selling this machine and buying another from a different manufacturer. I just wanted to share this information with you guys and maybe add a few more years to your life expectancy by avoiding the stress I've endured over the 44 hours my machine has been in service. Feel free to call me if you have any questions. 409 790-0877

Thanks,
John Blank

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update - at dealer

Well I called my local dealer and they were kind enough to take the machine in and see if they can get Polaris to recognize the obvious and take care of the problem. As of now, I'm going to be out the labor it's going to require them to make the attempt, but thankful never the less. I'll keep you up to date on the progress. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey bro, I have had the same issues and apparently others have had this same issue as well. Seems Polaris is not enthusiastic about helping us out and one way to manage this problem is maybe for all of us to be more vocal. I am going to call you and get some education on how this works. My motor went bad with 133 hrs on it and they are not wanting to help in any way even though the seals on the motor are non-existent and they will tell you that. Hard to imagine that there is an atv motor that you can't even wash with a hose or the motor will go bad. All those who have issues should speak up and help educate potential buyers as to what they are buying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

I agree 100%. Polaris needs to step up to the plate here.

The dealer called on my machine and it looks as if I'm hung on this one. Polaris had the dealer pull the electric motor apart and take pictures. Because there was signs of water (rust) inside the motor Polaris said that they would not warranty. Don't remember the exact phrase they used but it was something to the affect that, this motor is not a sealed motor and therefore has been exposed to excessive moisture or some b.s. Really? As if this situation wasn't chickensh,t anyway they throw another knife in my back. Now I'm informed that the motor on my machine is not sealed and rusting inside. Can you believe this?
This machine has never been in water over the floorboard. Yes, I do not avoid Puddles of water while driving my 4WD ATV. Yes, I do occasionally drive my machine OUTSIDE of the house, and occasionally get caught in the rain. And no, I don't cover my motor with a trash bag when I wash it. WTF? Really? This is just insult to injury. Who would have thought that a camouflage 4WD ATV/UTV was not supposed to get wet? You mean to tell me that for $11,000 Polaris couldn't equip this machine with a motor I could use outdoors? This is going to be a huge problem for Polaris. You bend a man over for $3k after spending $11,000 on a machine that was only in service 44.5 hours and I'm promise you he's gonna come out swinging. People, that's an operating cost of $247.19. Plus what I'm about to have to pay the Dealer for their failed attempt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's official. Polaris declined goodwill warranty request from dealer. I won't be purchasing anything with Polaris on it ever again. By far the most upsetting purchase I've ever made. Can't be legal to screw so many customers with obvious engineering defects. I will be hosting a site for Polaris owners who are experiencing thes common issues with there EV soon. If we can get enough people on board, I have a person that can represent us in a class action "you know what". I'll post the link when I get it up and running. It's not about the money for me. More so about a company has no problem telling you that you are on your own, but can't produce an explanation other than "your machine is out of warranty". This is not a warranty issue. This is a manufacturing defect due to poor engineering. Even the manufacturer of the motor is distancing itself from Polaris to avoid heat. I'm going to spend $3K no doubt. But it won't be fixing this machine.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It's official. Polaris declined goodwill warranty request from dealer.
Not surprising. They wouldn't do a thing when a Pure Polaris windshield I bought was clearly defective. The seller I bought it from offered a refund but I made it work.

This proves that the dealers are much better than the manufacturer at customer care. And that will remain true as long as poeople keep buying their products.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am with ya full speed Jw. I cannot believe that you can pay this kind of money for a machine and not wash it off with a garden hose without the motor leaking and the company that sold it to you says "sorry, that's not our problem, it's not a sealed motor". This has been the biggest disappointment in large purchases in my lifetime. This could have been such a home run for Polaris and instead it has been a huge let down that has influenced my future purchase more than anything. I am dumbfounded as to why they will not stand behind this vehicle and yet continue to sell it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It's polaris's problem if you get water in the engine? That's really pushing it IMO. Everyone knows (or should know) that water and engines don't mix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Water and Engines don't mix? Really? Well there you go! Why didn't I think of that! I guess I'll go and purchase a 4WD Camouflage ATV with no engine and a hole in the floor so I can go through the mud and water Fred Flinstone style! Thank you Russ for the "eye opener". I can't believe I was so stupid! (Also answers a few more questions for me. Like how in the hell did Obama get in office)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think jw makes a good point about the motor taking on water with no more than an occasional wash. I have spoken to two others like myself who did nothing more than wash their motors off with a garden hose and had the motor go bad due to water coming into the housing. Now if it were submerged or high pressure washed that might be a different story, but hosing it off with a garden hose? Come on... If you end up being one of the unfortunate souls that bought a 11000 dollar utv and stored in the garage and never rode through nothing more than a puddle only to have this type of issue, you may have a different opinion.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If water gets in the engine due to splashing, that is of course extremely bad. But lots of
"garden hoses" produce a good bit of pressure with nozzles on them - I know mine does when I clean my Ranger - and simply shouldn't be used on any engine, IMO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's just nonsense! We all know that if Polaris told buyers that there machines couldn't be pressure washed, they would sell very few, if any, of these machines. To make an assumption that people are abusing there machines by washing their motors (gas or electric) is shameful and pathetic! Do you know how many Golf Carts with Electric motors I have pressure washed? I assure you that it's far more than I can count. Yet they seem to have no problems. In fact, I have never heard of a single account where one was damaged by a pressure washer, driving in mud, driving in water, driving on wet grass, etc. Especially not with only 44.5 hours on it. The fact is this. Polaris is responsible for an inferior machine that has several issues. This being only one of many. But instead of acting as a reputable company and taking care of the problem, they would rather ignore it, blame the you and abandon all incidents. Like many before them, they choose to ignore the problem as if it's going to "go away" and hope that they can avoid a major issue / recall / class action lawsuit / refund. That's EXACTLY what's happening here. For you to suggest otherwise only proves ignorance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had issues with polaris when the new roof for my ranger blew off while I was booking down the road. They told me the instructions with the roof specified that 45 mph was the limit for the roof. When it is on a trailer and going down the road. Well, I had no paperwork since the roof was installed at the dealership, no notes etc... I sent the broken bracket to polaris and detailed everything... $500 dollars for a metal roof and they said, "Instructions specify not suitable for speeds over 45 mph...". Bla bla blaa Well, I decided that next time I will have to hold the dealerships fat to the fire since their parent company did not follow through. Sad when a company blows off valid issues.

I can not fathom a dealership saying that water got in the 4 x 4 atv and caused problems. Give me a break, did they expect you to never drive it outside? in Mud, water, and out door elements.

Hope your next toy works for you!

Ignore the asses that follow threads and respond like they do...

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thermosistor

Well I found the problem. As suspected it was the thermosistor on the electric motor. After doing research on the motor, I found the correct resistance for normal operation. Found the thermosistor wires coming from motor and disconnected from motor controller. Installed resistor with proper value and wham! Ranger is up and running with no motor issues. No overheating, no excessive current drain.
THIS IS THE KICKER. The thermosistor is built inside the motor coil therefore it is not a serviceable part. Therefore the only fix is to bypass or replace the $2800 motor. Another brain fart for the Ranger EV. This will be my final parting with Polaris Industries. After owning 5 different machines over the past 10 years, I have reached my boiling point. I will be selling this machine and buying another from a different manufacturer. I just wanted to share this information with you guys and maybe add a few more years to your life expectancy by avoiding the stress I've endured over the 44 hours my machine has been in service. Feel free to call me if you have any questions. 409 790-0877

Thanks,
John Blank
Is there any way you could tell me how to do this in steps? I have the same problem on my 2011 ranger ev . How did you find the name of the motor to do the research I am desperate. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It burns me up when i read stories like this. I have a 2011 n 4 friends that have Ranger eve's also that i have helped w problems and trying to prevent problems that i've read on this and other forums. I've had to change the algorithm, change the MPC, bypass the center fuse under the solenoid, upgrade the charger that had burnt pins (thankfully the guy i bought it from transferred his extended warranty and Polaris honored it). mine had 330 hours on it when i got it and now 3 months later 338. i know about the motor. Friend said dealer told him they were from Germany and were not sealed. I'm with you on the water. hard to wash off GUMBO with low pressure water. I know sooner or later the motor will go,
BUT MAN I LOVE MACHINE. It has so much potential. I've built 3 CC carts for hunting and owned 1 other 4x4 48Volt hunting cart. They are not even close. They all ride like tanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts