Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would say on average they get 20% off of list price for their cost. $10,299 - 20% = $8239.20.

·
Registered
635 Posts
From what I was told when they first came out there was only about a $500 dollar profit margin on them, It is my hope that when the prices went from 9999 to 10299 all that went to the dealer as well, I don't have a problem with the dealers making a living, my best resource is the ability to shop around..

·
Registered
635 Posts
It was brought to my attention that maybe this was not a fair topic to be in the general boards I moved it here till Josh gets a chance to look at it..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
keowee1 said:
Anyone have any idea how much a dealers cost on a RZR is??
I WOULD NOT HAVE MOVED THIS!

Dealer cost will never be discussed honestly so why even bother asking?

Every dealer could be paying a substantially different price depending upon how much business they do and how many units they buy and move every year. Dealers also may get advertising kick backs, accessory kick backs and a host of other credits that bring down their actual cost of each and every machine they order from Polaris.

About the best price I have heard of is around $9900 and I can't verify that nor would I expect any dealer to match it.

It is a completely different story where machines have been sitting on a dealers floor plan for a while and they have a need or desire to move them out to make room for new models.

Very few dealers have an abundance of RZRs they can't move so I doubt there will be much discounting for a while yet.

I paid $10,299 for mine and was very happy to drive almost 300 miles to get it NOW. The dealer did cut me some sizable breaks on accessories and that is all I could ask for.

The very best way to begin a very bad relationship with a dealer is to cut his throat at the time of purchase!

It is also not real smart to shop a dealer many miles away for a small savings and then expect your local dealer to bend over backwards to help you with repairs. Although they may have an obligation to perform warranty repairs, they certainly do not have to move anything to the side to accomodate a customer who is not theirs or who they have no relationship with.

You might very well be able to save a few hundred dollars by shopping but that might also come right back to bite you in the rear later on.

Tell your local dealer you purchased your machine from a dealer out in West Podunk and off Ebay and he is likely to tell you to take a number when you bring it in for repairs! "Penny Wise and Pound Foolish"

Gary

·
Registered
635 Posts
Gary I fully support your views but as we were addressed we must react, take notice the thread was not deleted just moved till the site owner sees it and gives direction on it..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey Guys,
I dont mind the move, but we all know there is a "dealer price" every retailer buys their product at wholesale. The more you buy the cheaper you get it. If you are a high volume dealer and sell 10 RZR's for instance a month you may get yours for $7500 if you only sell 10 a year they may be $8500. I think Josh will be fair about a desicion.

Mark

·
Registered
635 Posts
Okay, I have had correspondence with all involved and, having info that Josh may be out for a spell I am deeming this a harmless topic. The way I see it a fella is trying to get info about cost and the only folks who can answer that are dealers themselves. I don't think any dealer should have to disclose that and doubt any will here, so all I can say is, get your best price and enjoy the speculation being shared as just that.

By the way any price at or under MSRP is a bargain in my view..

I'm putting this back out in the open forums..

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree with the decision to put this back up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Grazor,
My buddy was in the same boat you described in your post! He traveled to another state to save 1000.00 per atv. (they were buying 4). When he got them back, one of them had a problem with the cooling fan not operating properly. He had been into the local shop to check prices prior to purchasing out of state and when he went into the local shop to get warranty work done on the fan, they told him they "were really busy and it would probably be about eight months before they could get to him!" Suddenly, the 1000.00 savings wasn't so great. Thats why I bought locally.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Just for the record and this is only my opinion here but I don't think Deleting posts is a good practice except if a post is rude or in poor taste against our policies.

Members should be able to ask legit questions even if they do go against the grain of others.

Those who are offended by such questions should feel free to state their opinions and argue their own oppositions.

We are not here to be "Censors" except to keep the posts clean and stop rude and derogatory threads.

We will loose members if we interfere and flex our moderator muscles too often.

I suggest in the future that we discuss these types of threads among ourselves BEFORE we move them unless they are a clear violation.

Gary

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hey,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back. I have talked with a couple of sponsors and also thought this over. GRAZOR has worked for a dealership and will understand where I am coming from when I say this. Unless you take an average over say 10 different dealerships then you would get close to what the dealer invoice is. However sense all dealers are different, some sells more, some sells other brands, etc this will cause the dealer price to change. So if you are asking what is the best price to pay for a RZR this is about useless. If I was looking to buy a RZR I would get on the phone, call 5 different dealerships and see what they can do for you. Also don't forget our sponsors. They are offering up some great deals.

Maybe the correct question we should of asked is why is he wanting to know dealer cost? And sense this is a number that changes from dealer to dealer we could have come back and said this is impossible to come up with. I would only remove this topic if it bashed our sponsor. I look at it as a guy asking a question, maybe not a easy question to ask sense it has some many different ways it could be changed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ALAG3 said:
Grazor,
My buddy was in the same boat you described in your post! He traveled to another state to save 1000.00 per atv. (they were buying 4). When he got them back, one of them had a problem with the cooling fan not operating properly. He had been into the local shop to check prices prior to purchasing out of state and when he went into the local shop to get warranty work done on the fan, they told him they "were really busy and it would probably be about eight months before they could get to him!" Suddenly, the 1000.00 savings wasn't so great. Thats why I bought locally.

I think this is rediculious, and if/when this happens, the dealer should be reprimanded by Polaris. I can understand moving customers who bought from you up a little, but to tell someone eight months is intollerable. That just proves to your buddy that he infact did make the right decision going to another dealer!!!
A few years ago I purchased four quads and a Zieman trailer. I knew exactly what I wanted, so I called several dealers and told them to give me their best price. Of course, most of them wanted me to come in. I refused! I was up front with them, and told them to give me their best price. If they had the best price out of several dealers I would be in to buy them. Only a couple would even give me compettitive prices, so I picked one of them, and they got the business.
Every dealer has an opportunity to earn everones business!!!!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
No argument from me on this Polaris Toyz but as a previous General Manager at a rather big shop I fielded many of these calls.

For every one guy who was on the up and up and came in to do the deal I had at least 10 who never showed up and that was after giving them the absolute bottom line price.

I will stick by what I said above and just as easily as you can tell a dealer you got a better price somewhere else over the phone, a dealer can tell you he will do better over the phone and just come on in with a written sales quote for me to match.

The best price is not always the best deal and no dealer any where in this country is mandated to give any special consideration to customers. Smart ones take care of their own customers first but I do agree the 8 month thing is a bit far fetched.

Now look at it from a different view. I have two guys waiting for a very scarce backordered part. Both machines are in my shop and dead. One bought his machine from me and I made a few hundred bucks from a loyal customer. The other bought his machine elsewhere and I made nothing. Only one of these backordered parts comes in! Who do you think will get it?

I don't really care if it is Polaris, Ford, Chevy or Toyota, a dealer who does not take care of those who buy directly from him is a complete fool!

You have every right to seek the very best price and as a dealer I have every right to take care of those who buy from me FIRST!

Gary

·
Registered
507 Posts
This topic reminds me of a picture I seen years ago. It was a picture of man dressed in ragged clothing bending over to pick up a penny off the ground. The caption read "When I was in business, I was always the low bidder"

Point of this is a dealer needs to make a certain amount of profit to stay in business. If he can't make a profit, then why sell it.

When I was shopping for my machines, I could have bought them cheaper at another dealer, but, being in sales myself, I know the meaning of service. It is worth the extra money to buy from the local dealer when possible as they will generally treat you much better.

Patronize your local dealers and they will be there when you need them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yep, I was rolling down I-90 from Washington to Wisconsin, and in the heart SD my ten day old Ford warning light came on. I pulled over and called the 800 service number in the ford book and they told me to drive it 37 miles and they would alert the ford dealership I was coming to please stay open.. Well I get there and the shop guy says nice truck where'd you buy it I said in my home town, he said yeah we have a buck of vehicles in line in front of you so it could be a few weeks. He was adamant even when I explained I was travailing. So I drove it the rest of the trip then back to my local Chevy dealer it had 3100 miles on it and I dumped it, and I love my new Duramax 3500.

As for buying local the only reason I couldn't with my razors was my local dealer had 15 down payments by the time I hit his door.. But I still buy everything else from them and they still do all my service, first rate at that..

·
Registered
50 Posts
From the perspective of a dealer; if a customer allows you to make a few dollars on your sale he is your "better customer". If a customer skins a dealer, when ever that customer comes in or needs something he is likely to be dealt with and handled much different.

Take most any trade or profession. Who get the best service? The guy who pays the bills and overhead for you, that is who.

The customer who is easy to deal with and allows the dealer (or whatever profession) to make a fair profit is the one who gets treated well. And while I have no first hand knowledge of the Polaris cost, etc. When you, as a dealer (or what ever profession) are more likely to give a good deal or sweeter deal to the customer who is fair and understanding of your need to make a dollar.

I personally know when I see, talk to or deal with a customer who I have profited from, I am quick to give them the attention they request. O0 O0

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My dealer also had a bunch of guys ahead of me. He called me one day and asked me if I would drive a ways to get an RZR.

Guess he was at the races and met another dealer who had two RZR not spoken for and he thought of me.

Very good guy and I drove up past Binghampton, NY to get mine the very next day.

My dealer hooked me up and will do what ever he can to take care of me even though I did not buy from him.

I also don't scalp him on stuff I buy from him. He gave me his best price for the extended warranty and Scott at Motor Sports Super Store beat it by around $130. My dealer told me to do it and he had no problems and will take care of my warranty repairs just as if he had sold it.

Here is the difference though. Lots of times when we say our dealer it is in fact the owner of the shop you may be dealing with. In my case when I say my dealer it is an employee who manages the shop and the owner makes the final decisions as to prices like for warranties. My guys hands are tied in some pricing so he does not care if I find stuff cheaper elsewhere.

So far he never sold me an ATV or UTV but I have sent him 5 friends who all bought directly from him.

I'm very sure he would not be so friendly with me if I went to Binghampton to buy an RZR for a couple hundred cheaper while he had one available at his shop. As it turned out I paid the exact same price as he would have charged but I got one a month and a half sooner then he could have and bought it from one of his friends.

It is important to have a dealer close by if that dealer is a fair one and has a good service shop. The next closest Polaris dealer to here is one I would never send any one to!

Gary

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am sure the dealers most of you are speaking about are quite different than many of the dealers here in Southern California. A lot of the dealers here are HUGE with dozens of employees. The ONLY way they are going to know/remember if I bought from them is if they look in their computer, or I am in there spending my cash on a weekly basis! Many of the sales people are young men, whom I would bet, often only work there for a short time.
There are smaller dealers around here, but if you want something popular, good luck! The chances of them having it are slim. If they have any coming in, chances are they have a waiting list. It is tough to wait for something popular, when you can drive just a few miles and have a choice of colors. My guess would be that the smaller dealers remain profitable by doing repairs and warranty work.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
No big shops around here! Most consist of a salesman, parts guy, mechanic and possibly an insurance and finance person.

Keep in mind though, I live in a state where ATVs are not allowed on any state owned lands. Lots of guys have them but I'd venture a guess that 90% of the riding they do is "Renegade" or where they are not supposed to be.

I agree that a big dealership probably wouldn't notice where you bought it from or care.

Gary

1 - 20 of 20 Posts