Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently fitted a Delta Q IC1200 charger to a Ranger. A lot more cost effective than buying a new Delta Q from Polars, and hopefulyy a lot better sealed against moisture. These have the LED output the same as the Quiq but not the interlock so it needs an external mains operated relay (As this is used on a Li ion Conversion it has an additional mains operated relay anyway). Lots of algorithms available and can be added using a memory stick. Sounds easy but actually very fiddly.
These do have a fan for cooling so they wouldnt do well in really mucky environments. But a very cost effective solution. It does not mount directly onto the Quiq mount but needs another plate to
match up with the new units mounting holes.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In this case I put a replacement line through to the main contactor just as the original MPC would go. But with a larger cable. I re used the old charger lead to give me a hv connection to the new Capacity meert I fitted on this vehicle. Its worth putting a new larger Charger cable (i use the Maxi blade fuse holder) with fuse near to the main contactor. This charger also has a short lead with 50a anderson connector to enable its removal should it be required.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In this case I put a replacement line through to the main contactor just as the original MPC would go. But with a larger cable. I re used the old charger lead to give me a hv connection to the new Capacity meert I fitted on this vehicle. Its worth putting a new larger Charger cable (i use the Maxi blade fuse holder) with fuse near to the main contactor. This charger also has a short lead with 50a anderson connector to enable its removal should it be required.
Hi, I just posted elsewhere regarding the Delta-Q Lithium Charge Profile - do you have it?? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I just posted elsewhere regarding the Delta-Q Lithium Charge Profile - do you have it?? Thanks.
I currently have the original Charger, but would like to change it out for the one you described, which is from a golf cart (but no fan).

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one with no fan is either the ic650 and really unsuitable for charging the larger traction batteries, or the ic900 which may also struggle. I only use the higher output IC1200 which only comes with the fan.
Note the Algorithms for the IC series are not the same as those in the QuiQ. they are totally different file types and are not interchangeable.
You will have to get the correct charge algorithm. These are obtained through your DeltaQ dealers and need to be matched to the cells in use. There are some of the IC series algorithms on the Delta Q site but you will have to search for them.
The one I use is specifically for the cell blocks I use and goes way above 60v Completely unsuitable for any 48v direct replacement set up.
So to re cap. You need to know exactly what the pack you are using is, the cell make and type, the end of CC stage voltage, the total pack Ah, and of course which model of charger you wish to use. You also have to interface with your BMS and if you use the short to start option that is an extra piece of software to load after the algorithm is loaded and set. Read / research the Deltaq site for the product you wish to use. But a 650w really is too small.It will struggle to give a decent CC stage of charge and may time out as many of the algorithms have time element as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The one with no fan is either the ic650 and really unsuitable for charging the larger traction batteries, or the ic900 which may also struggle. I only use the higher output IC1200 which only comes with the fan.
Note the Algorithms for the IC series are not the same as those in the QuiQ. they are totally different file types and are not interchangeable.
You will have to get the correct charge algorithm. These are obtained through your DeltaQ dealers and need to be matched to the cells in use. There are some of the IC series algorithms on the Delta Q site but you will have to search for them.
The one I use is specifically for the cell blocks I use and goes way above 60v Completely unsuitable for any 48v direct replacement set up.
So to re cap. You need to know exactly what the pack you are using is, the cell make and type, the end of CC stage voltage, the total pack Ah, and of course which model of charger you wish to use. You also have to interface with your BMS and if you use the short to start option that is an extra piece of software to load after the algorithm is loaded and set. Read / research the Deltaq site for the product you wish to use. But a 650w really is too small.It will struggle to give a decent CC stage of charge and may time out as many of the algorithms have time element as well.
Hi, thanks. I haven't even attempted to "obtain" the Lithium Profile from the local dealer, nor do I hold out much hope for it, but maybe. At this point, I'll settle for any 16S 48V nominal Lithium Iron Phosphate profile, but I know what you mean. I'm an Electrical Engineer, so know what I'm doing, but do not know what the "short to start" option is, however.

The existing charger is non-reprogrammable, but it works. The one I can put in is reprogrammable, but is only 13A.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Short to start is a common feature. You need some way of interfacing with your Li BMS, so if a cell goes high or too hot then the charger gets turned off. With short to start, you literally do just that, short two terminals, and if you open the circuit them, the charger stops. Low power low voltage, so virtually any BMS with relay contacts can operate it. Better than having to install a high power mains relay to turn the charger off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah, I see. Now I know what it is: closed-loop control. I'm not sure what BMS you are using, or what the Polaris normally has on it, but would have thought the Polaris just does this automatically? I shall ponder. I'm surprised nobody-else on here has found the Lithium Profile, or gotten one from the Dealer.... Will keep looking.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the std lead Polaris dont invoke the short to start in the QUiQ , they dont need to as its not externally controlled. When doing a Li conversion certain algoriths add in this feature by using the unused temp sensor connections. Others have got the Li algorithms and Voltronics do add them.
I dont know of others who are using the IC1200 which is what this thread is about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts