Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here to the forum. I recently bought a 2016 Diesel Ranger with the Kohler engine. Then the deep freeze hit the midwest. Well, I haven't been able to start it since. No, it doesn't have a block heater. Yes, I recently installed a block heater, but in order to bleed the coolant system you have to bring the motor up to temperature first - and it won't start.

Best case scenario is the weather warms up and it fires up. Then I bleed the coolant system and plug in for future cold weather.

My question is do I need to consider anything else as a reason why it's not starting up? The fuel was treated with Sea Foam, so I don't think it's a gelling issue at this point.

Thanks for your input/comments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will fire up and die shortly there after. It never stays running more than 4-5 seconds. Do you think that would still be a glow plug issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it does start for a brief moment it's rough. How hard is it to replace glow plugs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Disconnect the wire to the glow plug test each glow plug. I also believe you have a controller for the glow plugs the controller could be a issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Disconnect the one wire going to top of glow plug, take a 12 volt test light hook clip end to your positive terminal on ranger battery place needle end of 12 volt test light to terminal on glow plug . If the test light does luminate glow plug is bad . I ALWAYS use a anti seize when installing new glow plugs .

If its a fuel problem like filters be careful to not introduce air into system, do not crack open any fuel lines at this point .

I have several diesels yet to have gelling over the span of 30 years in Minnesota but never say never .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I had it loaded up on my trailer Sunday evening ready to take it to the dealership. Monday high temp was 55. When I got to the dealership on Monday afternoon, it fired up and I drove it off the trailer. The techs came out and confirmed that the diesel probably gelled and that's why it wouldn't start. They suggested Heet or diesel 911. I did get the coolant bled in the system, and am now able to plug it in over night. Hopefully that's the end of cold weather issues.

Anybody want to buy a really nice 430 hour Diesel Ranger? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts