Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I still have the certificate of origin for my machine.

I purchased my machine from a dealer out of my home state and paid cash so I was handed the certificate of origin when I gave them the money.

I don't see a point in giving my money grabbing state any more money for a title fee and registration for something that is strictly an ORV and not "street legal" in the eyes of the state.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have never heard of a certificate of origin here the only thing you get is a receipt, an ownership and a plate.
Everything with a VIN has a certificate of origin, it's part of the manufacturing process, whether or not you've ever seen one has nothing to do with it. Boats, planes. trains, automobiles, equipment, trailers, atvs, kayaks, etc. - EVERYTHING!! After that you're Canadian, why would you assume anything is the same in the US as far as what happens with a purchase?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Some insurance companies won't insure without a title. Most states won't allow them to be driven on the roads or trails with out registration and insurance. Without it being registered with "my money grabbing state" there is no way for law enforcement to track it down if it is stolen. It's just gone. And in a lot of states a part of that money goes toward obtaining and impproving riding areas.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Some insurance companies won't insure without a title. Most states won't allow them to be driven on the roads or trails with out registration and insurance. Without it being registered with "my money grabbing state" there is no way for law enforcement to track it down if it is stolen. It's just gone. And in a lot of states a part of that money goes toward obtaining and impproving riding areas.
I assume that this is directed at me.

It is not legal to ride them on the roads in my state at all unless it is for ag use.
I don't have a title for my machines and they are both fully insured.

You have a bill of sale when you purchase it that comes with a certificate of origin so yes, the cops are able to track it down by the VIN that is on the certificate of origin. If you buy a machine at a dealer and you get a loan, the bank or who ever gives you the money holds the certificate of origin. If your machine gets stolen when you are still making payments and you don't have a title yet, how do the cops track that down?

I have not ever heard of any money that is paid for a title going to improving riding areas. Trail passes sure, but not title fees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts