Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been thinking about putting in a two inch lift kit in my 06 700 ranger. the kit looks like two spacers and a couple of brackets. it runs about $59 on ebay. are they worth putting in, or do they just change all my cv angles and wear everything out faster? what do you guys run for lifts, if any?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just remember, you get what you pay for. There are some nice good quality lifts for under 200.00. I personaly not trust a cheap low quality lift. Rubberdown or SuperATV are good lifts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
we have a 2" rubberdown lift. It is great! It does help out, especially in water and fighting ruts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are these types of lift kits hard on any of the cv shafts or anything? i guess what i'm asking is has anyone had problems because of putting in a lift kit?

·
Registered
373 Posts
A lift kit will put more pressure on a few of the suspension parts. But there is a trade off. lifts offer more cleance, so you will not have to work as hard to get through or over the same obsticle.

·
Registered
317 Posts
offdapath said:
i've been thinking about putting in a two inch lift kit in my 06 700 ranger. are they worth putting in, or do they just change all my cv angles and wear everything out faster? what do you guys run for lifts, if any?
The truth is YES the lift kit will accelerate the wear and tear of your CV's & Boots & Axles.

They do look good, And I thought about getting one for some time.

But from our trail runs we have gone on, I have never encountered anything a lifted Ranger could do that I couldnt.
And as far as that goes in our last couple outings, both times lifted Rangers had break downs that were caused by the lift. First one the lift kit itself snapped and bolt on top of the front shock, and last weekend a guy in my nieghborhood broke the CV joint while riding through River rocks.

I watch this board and a couple others everytime I see a post that begins with "I tore another boot" or "replacing my 3rd axle" etc... everytime they have a lift kit, and nobody wants to blame the lift, everyone just saysbuy gorrilla axles (at like $350 each :'()

Before 100 people come on here saying they can do something because they are lifted and I cant do. I am sure you could produce a paticular situation, like ruts just deep enough for 2" of lift to make a difference, or a log or rock that 2" make a difference, but it would be a rare occasion to just come accross this situation. Plus I have been in some off camber situations on the side of hills where I was very glad I didnt have a lift

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i totally agree with you. in fact the only reason i was even thinking about putting in a lift is for the look. i just needed someone to talk me out of it. thank you! i had a 2: lift in my rubicon, but i blew out a cv shaft, so i took it out. i just remember seeing that wicked angle it puts on your cv shafts. but it sure makes the machine look tougher! thanx for your input.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A two inch lift will only accelerate the wear and tear on your unit slightly. A lot of time the lift is blamed when in fact the larger heavier tires that often are installed with the lift are the issue. I have a 3 inch on my Rhino and a 2 inch on my Ranger and have had no issues at all. The real CV issues start after the 2 to 3 inch level depending on unit. The larger heavier tires like most of the terra cross,big horns and a host of other popular choices will wear on your drive line as much or more than a 2 inch lift with stock tires. It is all about choices. Lift and bigger tires will allow you to go further in some situations, the trade off is slightly more wear and tear. Your call.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I would agree with Family adventure here. I put the 2" rubberdown lift on my RZR.

I almost always have a passenger and my dog with me and think it does not change the angle at all when loaded.

It does get me through and over obsticles that I would normally hit the bottom on.

I would never add a lift for the looks!

It is a trade off and one to be thought about wisely.

Answer some questions here.

Do you ride alone and with a very light load?

Do you ride with passengers and all sorts of other gear?

The answer to the above will offset a 2" lift kit.

My RZR used to sit with 9 inches of clearance loaded. It now sits with 10 inches and the same load with the 2 inch lift kit. We all know that 1 inch only makes a difference in very few sports and if my CV joint can't handle it then we have a problem! :2funny:

BTW, I added the bigger 14" wheels and tires at the time of purchase so I have no idea what the difference is with stock wheels and tires. Even before I added the lift I never rubbed or bottomed out with the stock suspention, just hit bottom allot more then I do now.

Gary

·
Registered
563 Posts
GRAZOR said:
I would agree with Family adventure here. I put the 2" rubberdown lift on my RZR.

I almost always have a p*****enger and my dog with me and think it does not change the angle at all when loaded.
Where does the pa$$enger ride? :2funny:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Seat belts are nice. Nice dog, it looks like he's been there before. The dog looks like about our age in dog years. He is just getting to be a pup again.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
She is about 7 months old in that pic and prefers the passenger seat so she can help with the driving! :2funny:

The bed is her alternate seating for when momma comes along. I like to strap her in just in case we hit some woops and she goes airbourne!

Gary

·
Registered
635 Posts
Nice pic's Gary, here's how our dog manages the kids..

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thanks CB! My dog is stuck to me like glue but have to say she would leave me in the dust for three kids who just want to play like that!

Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts