Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XP900 won't start. When turning on key, there is a chattering sound and it takes longer then normal for the console to refresh (sometimes it never refreshes and blinks and continues chattering). When the instrument panel does refresh, a louder clicking noise begins, but the starter never engages to turn over the engine. I checked the battery and it has a full charge (12.7V). I check the cables and they are tightly connected. Any ideas are appreciated...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try tightening down the battery terminals. I replaced my battery and that sounds like the exact issue I was having. Poor contact causing the issue. Check all connections on all terminals to be safe. I hope that works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
Hook your volt meter to the battery and watch what the volts drop to when you turn the key to start.
If it drops below 10 volts you need to have a load test done on your battery to make sure it is good.
It sounds like a bad battery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Step one: take off and clean up the cables at the battery. Step two: take off and clean the cable at the starter motor terminal. When I get that clicking noise its almost always dirty electrical contacts. What I do each fall is take the battery out, clean its top and terminals, then put it on slow charge for a day. Along with this I clean up the cable connections. Keep in mind that the current for starting is much much higher than routine operating. The voltage drop across dirty connectors at low load is negligible, yet when hit with the high starter motor current that same dirt can cause the voltage drop to be large enough that the motor won't turn over or the starter relay won't be able to hold in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have voltmeter on while some one tries to start unit, could be battery with internal short

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
There seem to be a lot of battery's that are failing internally recently. I had one fail on a John Deere tractor last fall. 12.6 v standing , 8.6v when trying to engage starter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There seem to be a lot of battery's that are failing internally recently. I had one fail on a John Deere tractor last fall. 12.6 v standing , 8.6v when trying to engage starter.
Had one on trolling motor battery one time.
Drove me insane

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
we just had similar issue and we took the ground cable off the frame, cleaned it and put back together with dielectric grease

·
Registered
3 Posts
My XP900 won't start. When turning on key, there is a chattering sound and it takes longer then normal for the console to refresh (sometimes it never refreshes and blinks and continues chattering). When the instrument panel does refresh, a louder clicking noise begins, but the starter never engages to turn over the engine. I checked the battery and it has a full charge (12.7V). I check the cables and they are tightly connected. Any ideas are appreciated...
I installed brass battery connectors and this stopped the problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try tightening down the battery terminals. I replaced my battery and that sounds like the exact issue I was having. Poor contact causing the issue. Check all connections on all terminals to be safe. I hope that works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jeff. I pulled the battery, wire brushed the terminals, topped off the fluid, put it on the charger and reinstalled it and everything was back to normal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts