Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 4x4 with a Warn z3500 winch. For a while now there has been problems starting. When I turn the key there is no noise, clicking, anything, but the lights will come on. The battery is newish. I just figured it was something electrical because weird solutions tended to make it work like: click the awd button or run the gear shifter through the gears, etc. If none of those worked it always started up just fine by jumping the starter with a screwdriver. A weekend or two ago the winch would not spool up(never had an issue in the past) it would just click. People told me to check the winch solenoid and that is was probably corroded. Well I took the cover off the winch solenoid tonight and it looked brand new under there, not spot of dirt. I read somewhere that the battery could be too weak to run the winch even though the machine would start, but I just ruled that our because once the machine actually tried to turn over it cranks right up. Well when I saw how clean the winch solenoid was I ran jumper cables to the battery from my truck and low and behold the winch worked... I don't have to ability to test my battery at my house, but does it make sense that the battery is weak and will not spool the winch? If that's the case can anyone explain the starting issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case anyone else reads this the problem was a bad a starter relay/ starter solenoid. Haven't replaced it yet but took it off and cleaned the connections real well on it and on the battery. Haven't had an issue with the cranking since and the winch works great. I think the winch problem was more of the dirty connections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts