Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have been looking at importing some to the UK, there are so many kits. Some better than others . Big problem is having a decent / adequate 12v supply. So I would always recommend having an auxiliary battery for this. It would take the big load off the dc to dc converter. On the Li Ion conversions I add a new 12v battery and these from experience on use on vehicles with electric steering work well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. Has anyone successfully installed power steering on an EV?
Hi,

Since you posted your question, you probably ended doing something. So this reply is for peoples that would like to do the same.

I recently went into the process of installing a power stearing on my Polaris Ranger EV 2018 and it was not that complicated. My power stearing kit was the SUPER ATV POLARIS RANGER MIDSIZE 570 POWER STEERING KIT. I also installed a separate 48VDC to 12VDC 30A converter with a small battery to avoid stealing power from the stock 12VDC system.

Amazon's products used to make a separate 12 volts power supply for the power steering:

Valefod DC to DC High Efficiency Voltage Converter 36V / 48V to 12V 30A 360W Buck Converter DIY Power Supply Step Down Transformer

YTZ7S - 12V 6AH 130 CCA - SLA Power Sport Battery - Mighty Max Battery Brand Product

For added safety, I also installed a fuse holder on the 48VDC side and also on the 12VDC side.

If I knew it was possible, I would have installed it many years ago. Since then, the driving experience is so great. Even in 4WD, the wheels are easy to steer.

I compared the steering associated parts of the midsize 570 ranger with the EV and parts numbers were identical. So I decided to go thrue.

Hoping this share will find some interested poeples.

Sorry for my English. I probably did some mistakes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently went into the process of installing a power stearing on my Polaris Ranger EV 2018 and it was not that complicated. My power stearing kit was the SUPER ATV POLARIS RANGER MIDSIZE 570 POWER STEERING KIT. I also installed a separate 48VDC to 12VDC 30A converter with a small battery to avoid stealing power from the stock 12VDC system.
Thanks for the info! Did you have to modify the frame or cut through any part of the body in order to install the motor or was it just straight forward like it is for 570?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info! Did you have to modify the frame or cut through any part of the body in order to install the motor or was it just straight forward like it is for 570?
Straight foward. Every holes are already there as in the 570 since parts numbers are identical in the midsize 570 and the EV. Verify parts numbers on both models on polaris parts website. The available space is already available. You wont regret it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Straight foward. Every holes are already there as in the 570 since parts numbers are identical in the midsize 570 and the EV. Verify parts numbers on both models on polaris parts website. The available space is already available. You wont regret it!
Good to hear! Thanks again! I have a separate 12v system with a dedicated 12v battery for my winch. I wonder if I can hook it up to that 12v system instead since I'm not using the winch that much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good to hear! Thanks again! I have a separate 12v system with a dedicated 12v battery for my winch. I wonder if I can hook it up to that 12v system instead since I'm not using the winch that much.
At first I wired it to my winch battery and it worked well. But I tought that someday I probably would use it and it was also cool to install a seperate power supply for the power steering. The actual dc-dc converter of the winch also supply the entire 12 volts of the EV. So I think it is safer to not load the actual dc-dc converter. The Power steering is rated at 220W max and the winch dc converter is rated at 360W. Add the two 55W headlight and it is close to the maximum rating. Keeping the inboard 12Vdc alive and well under maximum rating is safer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
At first I wired it to my winch battery and it worked well. But I tought that someday I probably would use it and it was also cool to install a seperate power supply for the power steering. The actual dc-dc converter of the winch also supply the entire 12 volts of the EV. So I think it is safer to not load the actual dc-dc converter. The Power steering is rated at 220W max and the winch dc converter is rated at 360W. Add the two 55W headlight and it is close to the maximum rating. Keeping the inboard 12Vdc alive and well under maximum rating is safer.
Very good point. If you don't mind, where did you install the second 12v battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That would be super awesome! Thank you!!!
Hi, here is a photo of the battery and dc to dc converter installation. The battery is attached to the frame with tie-raps but also with a glued strap. It holds firmly and doesn't move at all.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Electrical wiring Cable Gas

You might think there is a lot of wiring and you're right. I also installed a NOCO genius GENPRO 10 amp 4 banks charger for the main 48 volts, 8 12V batteries in // and series. I also installed two interlock relays for safety to avoid driving the EV while it is still charging with the NCO chargers. I also added two NOCO genius 2 amp chargers for the winch battery and for the power steering battery for topoff and charge maintenance during winter.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Wood Gas

Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Tire Electrical wiring

I also plan to make a lithium upgrade sometime in the future. For that purpose I installed a 500 Amp coulomb meter on the main 48 volts battery. So far I was able to read some 600 to 630 Amps peak currents while on heavy load and stiff hill. This is kite important for the futur BMS's Lithium battery capacity. I was on the edge of installing a DIY 7kWh 20S LTO battery but didn't had enough information for the peak currents and associated duration. Normal driving currents are more in the 60 to 250 amp range. I will keep recording information for my next project. I also ordered the Kinetic but still plan to keep my Ranger EV.

If you need more information on my installation, please feel free to ask. So far I'm kite statisfied with all of them.

For your information, I searched for the parts numbers on this Polaris parts Canadian site :

https://www.polarispartsonline.ca/oem-parts?aribrand=POL_CDN

I almost have as much fun modifying my EV then the fun I have driving it.

Hoping I'm not to much boring to you,,,,,,,,have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
@bouchardpa I got the kit to get this going. Thanks for the images. One more question: Where did you tap into 48v? Did you splice an existing wire or did you connect directly to the batteries?
If you look at your actual dc-dc converter there are four wires. Two are from a switched 48 vdc that are live when the switch is on. So I spliced the wire from there to power my 48-12 vdc converter. Since we are close but not over the available 48 vdc power the actual wire should be ok. Remember that I installed two seperate powerwall 12 vdc chargers on both 12 vdc batteries, winch and power steering in order to avoid attempting to charge both batteries when powering on the Ranger EV and then limit the require current on the switched 48vdc wires. Look at the two wires on the photo’s lower left connector that powering my converter on the upper right and then the two wires that charge the battery.

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Vehicle Gas Cable

Have fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts