Polaris Ranger Forum banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I think the only issue here on the East coast is its near impossible to find anyone that wants to do a custom setup like what your doing.
Do you also pay somebody to replace your flooded batteries ? I guess some people have the limitation of being absolutely terrified of doing minor electrical projects themselves, but I think anyone capable of replacing a car battery can now upgrade their cart to Lithium due to amount of information available. I already shared the link to the forum where regular folks upgrade their golf carts to Lithium packs in hundreds. I bet many of them are on the East coast.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Perhaps you left out the "here in the UK" part. In the US Lithium cells reclaimed from BEVs sell for "dirt cheap" and conversion (with BMS included) turns out to be less than cost of new Lead-Acid batteries of equivalent capacity.

Most owners of the Ranger dont wish to, or have the ability to do a do it yourself conversion. If they have they are doing it, not commenting about the cost of buying a conversion, and so systems like the Voltronics in the USA are their only real option.

Voltronics have given people the appreciation of just how good a vehicle the Ranger can be when equipped with a Lithium pack.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Most owners of the Ranger dont wish to, or have the ability to do a do it yourself conversion. If they have they are doing it, not commenting about the cost of buying a conversion, and so systems like the Voltronics in the USA are their only real option.

Voltronics have given people the appreciation of just how good a vehicle the Ranger can be when equipped with a Lithium pack.

This is nonsense. Voltronix is still a DIY kit. Owner is responsible for pulling out the charger, motor controller, old batteries. Then reinstalling everything back with the new pack. It is only virtually simpler given the components are pre-setup, at a major cost premium.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
By the way your inbox is full. I tried to send you a message but it got kicked back to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Try Again. I don't use tapatalk

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Perhaps you left out the "here in the UK" part. In the US Lithium cells reclaimed from BEVs sell for "dirt cheap" and conversion (with BMS included) turns out to be less than cost of new Lead-Acid batteries of equivalent capacity.

If you get 4 years out of your lead acid batteries and replace them on your own the cost is about 4350.00 over 12 years. 1450.00 per set in my area. US and Trojan are same price here. The 180AH kit is 7,900.00. The 200AH is 8900.00. That’s a hard pill to swallow for those who use their cart 4 months out of the year. But for those who use everyday may well be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
The 180AH kit is 7,900.00. The 200AH is 8900.00

Leaf Gen2 module is 66Ah originally, they typically have about 80% of that capacity when purchased salvaged, so let's say 50Ah even. Four in parallel are needed for 200Ah, 7 in series for "48" volts.
That's 28 modules.

Here are 28 modules for $2,100 : https://www.techdirectclub.com/nissan-leaf-battery-g2-module-lithium-ion-14-kwh-500-watt-per-module-lot-of-28/

Like I mentioned before, the easiest BMS to setup is Zeva, which is another $200. Sevcon and DeltaQ reprogramming about $150. Probably need another contactor which is $50.

You can also pay me a $1,000 to pre-wire it all for you so in the end you have a 200Ah kit for $3500 :D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It’s useless unless your a electrical
Engineer or have the knowledge to locate the parts and assemble. not many will take the chance to do that

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
What kind of warranty

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That would be worth looking in to. Someone will have to offer to put it together so us dumb Bo’s can install without having a problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
It’s useless unless your a electrical
Engineer or have the knowledge to locate the parts and assemble. not many will take the chance to do that

Hundreds of golf cart owners do that here : All things Lithium I am pretty certain absolute majority of them aren't electrical engineers. Really no significant difference with Ranger, just a different motor controller and sometimes charger (some also use DeltaQ). I guess if one can't learn basic stuff from other people, might as well pay somebody else to do the work, and the cost is irrelevant at that point.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Some rather pay someone else that’s the ones I like.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I’m willing to learn. I may have to give that a try. Locate a ranger someone wants to get out of and in need of some batteries. I’d have to build some type of case for them?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
No one is doing that that I know of. If so they are keeping quiet. Hey I’m in TN w the wife on a short R&R. Gonna have to take a break and do some thinking.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I’d have to build some type of case for them?
There is a whole thread on that: Let's see your lithium boxes!

For light duty you may get away with just using aluminum angle to bolt them to original battery plates, kind of like I did on my mower. When I dropped Pacifica modules into the Ranger I also didn't construct a box, they've been fine for over a year now - I just put little fenders there in front of the plates (not pictured).

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need to replace my batteries in my 2011 Ranger EV. I'm thinking about doing a conversion to Lithium this time after reading post. I'm a good mechanic. Could anyone out there walk me through step by step install who has done a conversion to Nissan Leaf battery or better option? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
356 Posts
Voltronix has a kit that is simply plug-n-play. Well engineered and quality materials with an established business to provide follow-on service if needed. I have logged over 600 miles on my 2014 Voltronix Li conversion which is used primarily for forestry work in NE Washington State. Most Voltronix conversions take between 10 and 14 hours depending on how much corrosion has to be corrected before converting. The kit its self can be installed by a mechanically inclined person in 8 to 12 hours. First step is contact Voltronix and determine what size pack you want. Then they will ask you to uninstall your Sevcon controller and the DeltaQ charger. These are sent to Voltronix for reprogramming and are returned to you with the other conversion components.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I need to replace my batteries in my 2011 Ranger EV. I'm thinking about doing a conversion to Lithium this time after reading post. I'm a good mechanic. Could anyone out there walk me through step by step install who has done a conversion to Nissan Leaf battery or better option? Thanks!!
Basically you want to do everything discussed / shown here :
DIY 101 - 14 cell Nissan Leaf lithium pack

Once you're done with that part you will want to get your motor controller and charger reprogrammed.

·
Registered
679 Posts
121 - 140 of 158 Posts