Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2018 1000xp crew cab with Polaris tracks and plow. Is the extended warranty a good idea? I've always shied away from them but this time I'm not sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lol , I wondered the same thing also, but still bought it myself, hope I never need it but if? Read lots of horror stories and lots of good ones, but not to much of a gambler on something that is already over priced to begin with 😜

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn’t buy it due to the fact I accessorized myself into the poor house. However, according to the dealer I can purchase it later as long as I do so prior to the factory warranty expiring. I will most likely do exactly this after reading the number of folks having issues with these machines. Mine is working as expected so far, but only 5.5 hours and 30 miles on it to date. I did discover that two heater vents, passenger defroster and a dash vent, are not producing any air flow. This was dealer installed so they will have to fix it. Planning on stopping in today to discuss this.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Check with Zac at fixmytoys.com They can sell factory extended warranties as they are a Polaris dealer. I think he offers the best price as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my 2018 Polaris NorthStar in February of this year. The unit was a $33,000 plus purchase with all the accessories I ordered. This was a huge purchase for me but I bought it as a retirement gift to my wife and I. I've used the factory warranty at the dealership I purchased the unit at and (out of frustration) another Polaris dealership. Every time I've tried to use the factory warranty the dealership has to contact Polaris to get permission for the repairs; usually a weeks long process and Polaris may or may not approve the repairs. If the factory warranty is this hard to work with I have no faith that the extended warranty will be worth a flip. I've just accepted the fact that I threw that money away and have started doing my own repairs. My 2005 Ranger 700 XP ran like a champ and gave me no problems; I put over 50,000 miles on it. I love my 2018 NorthStar but it is plagued with ticky tacky issues. There, I'll get off my soap box!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Couldn't find a copy of the extended warranty terms and conditions online so talked with my Polaris sales rep and decided to buy the extended warranty for my 2018 XP 1000 EPS. Went today to close the deal and that's when I got the paperwork. Left the dealership and then went about two miles before reading the warranty terms. Focused on the "exclusions" and here's what it said (not going to post all 13 exclusion terms): "5. Repair costs or expenses if You cannot provide to the Administrator accurate records proving that You have maintained the Vehicle in accordance with manufacturer's specifications and instructions." and "7. Any repair costs or expenses if the Vehicle has had mechanical alterations made by You not using genuine manufacturer parts or accessories installed by a Dealer or authorized Servicer (as defined); regardless of whether or not such alteration caused a failure; Polaris track system will void coverage on steering and suspension components, CV shafts, CV boots, CV joints, and wheel bearings. Aftermarket track systems void coverage on the entire vehicle."

I further discovered that any Polaris accessory would NOT be covered by the extended warranty (in my case windshield, rear window, windshield wiper/washer, doors with roll up windows and rock sliders and since I installed them (purchased through the dealer) apparently I voided my factory warranty even though this was done with complete knowledge of the selling dealer. I also installed Camso 4Si tracks which would negate the entire extended warranty even though Camso makes the Polaris tracks.

Surely, you could find more entertaining and beneficial ways to waste $1,300. As for me, I cancelled the contract and got my money back.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not a fan.....

of extended warranties period! First, the warranty MUST be issued by Polaris to be valid at any Polaris dealer. If Polaris does not recognize the warranty, the dealer, or the company who issued the policy, is solely responsible for any repairs needed that the policy will cover. Such policies are usually NOT transferable, meaning the dealer who sold it, or other agents the issuer has a contract with, are the ONLY ones who will honor the policy and the policy is only as good as the financial health of the issuer of the policy. Many have found this out the hard way.

Pay close attention to the items that the warranty will not cover. You will probably find that common items that are subject to breakage are among these. Also note the requirements for the warranty to remain effective. Maintenance according to the owner's manual is an absolute must along with records to prove it. This may not be as easy as it sounds. What records are acceptable?

Note that ANY modifications to the machine; maintenance preformed by other than a Polaris dealer; fluids other than those recommended by Polaris and myriad of other details could well void the warranty.

READ THE POLICY CAREFULLY AND ASK POINTED QUESTIONS. Follow the rule: If it isn't in writing, it doesn't exist, will be the reason to turn down the request to have the policy cover the expense of repairs; will be the reason to void the warranty in its entirety without any refund.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes yes yes Make sure it’s issued by Polaris and read the terms too many horror stories and my unit is one of them still having problems With mine five years later and trading it in here shortly never again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts