Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering with the rigs with all the overhead lighting, how does the stock charging system keep up with them??? I have been thinking of adding a bigger battery or even a deep cycle battery. What do you guy's think.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I would add a deep cycle battery, I was going to do this for using my winch but I will also need it for the HID Lights I am about to purchase. Optima makes a good battery, it can be turned upside down it is a sealed battery.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So much to get batteries, winch, front drive shaft,, but a trailer would be nice so I haul this beast so we can drive it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm thinking of adding one in my RZR because the stock one is pretty inferior once you add a few extras.

My thought now, to keep it cheap, I have a marine deep cycle for my trolling motor that sits around getting old most of the time. Possibly add it with a marine selector or isolator switch so I can use one or the other or both.

The Optima and Oddysee ones are cool but pretty pricy in my "Cheepo" book.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Good luck finding a better atv type battery I have tried several different brands but size is what matters, and cranking amps.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My idea with the Marine Deep cycle one is to put it in the bed of the RZR and wire it to a marine selector switch.

You would then have two batteries and a switch that will give you three positions, battery 1, Battery 2 or both.

My fear is running out of juice out in the middle of nowhere. Its not like an RZR has a pull cord or could be bump started.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
caglezxj said:
Good luck finding a better atv type battery I have tried several different brands but size is what matters, and cranking amps.
That is where I was going to stray on. The atv battery is about the same money as a car battery and you would get a lot more battery. The Optima's are too pricey and I have read too many different stories on them to be sold on one. I think with a new holder I can get a small car battery to fit where the stock one fits.

I guess that is one good thing about having an old Ranger, mine has a pull starter. Pulling the rope without knocking yourself out on the cage is another story. :D :tickedoff:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My thoughts exactly! The stock batt is little more then a large motor cycle batt and totally lacking once you add some extras.
My fear is getting 4 miles out into the woods and having the batt die.

I will have a second batt no matter what or at the very least one of those Jump start boxes you can carry for emergencies.

Nice to hear the older Rangers had a pull cord!

There are other issues with a simple car battery that I can't answer. Deep cycle types can handle charge and discharge while car batts can't. I don't know if the charging systems of our machines can handle the extra charging duty. My thought is charge the deep cycle as you use it and forget about tieing it into the machines system. I am not electrically knowledgable enough to know what is the best route here.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard that car batteries are not suited for orv, but I have run a Die Hard in my Jeeps for over 30 years without a problem. The battery held up to the beatings, the lights and the winchings with out any problems. I did read somewhere while I was doing some research on my Ranger that you are not to rely on the charging system. They battery should be fully charged by a charger before the outing so that is what my plans are.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do not think I would really want to give up the space, but the storage box (under drivers seat) would be a good place for an aux battery. we use our ranger everyday for some light duty farm work, so the battery gets charged from the whatever system polaris provides.

But I have always had good service out of half amp trickle charger on my motorcycles. I keep them plugged in when ever I am not using them and they always are ready to start.

A car battery would easily fit in the storage box. You could even divide it and still store in it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have a storage compartment on my 6x6, but I do have a lot of wasted space under the hood where the stock battery is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looking at the amps drawn by the winch, and the discussion about the lights,- what does Polaris do on a machine like the Browning Edition with a factory winch , etc. I mean with the charging system and the battery? Is there any difference ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Odessey 925 LMJ will fit in the original battery position and is an awesome battery.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Since my last post on this topic, I see that Polaris indeed has an auxillary battery box, with cables etc. It mounts under the bed above the hitch, next to the muffler. I do not recall the price but the dealer said it was designed to "add" to the system. It would not draw a charge until the main battery was "full".

It is in the Polaris catalog.

Lynerd 8)

·
Registered
167 Posts
ive been lookin into adding lights also and all ive heard is to go with HIDs. theyre a bit more pricey but you get like 4 times the light at 1/2 the drainage. anybody know of an HID conversion for the ranger?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't see spending almost 400 bucks a light for them, and even my KC Daylighters are too bright for the person in front of me on my Jeep. I still have the KC's on the front but I like the rock lights the best.

I guess the HID's would be ok if you are in front or alone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ya im second guessing HIDs i dont wanna spend 400 bucks on a single light, id rather spend that money on my truck. i just want 2 maybe three lights that will light up the path well without draining my battery. how much are those odyssey batteries

·
Registered
1 Posts
$172.68. This is the cheapest I have found and that's with shipping. Here is a link:

http://www.septechnologies.biz/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=99

1 - 20 of 20 Posts