Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted here.

But after plowing last year, I realized that I really need to put a heater in the cab. Having the window constantly freeze up to the point where I can't even see out of it was bad.

I can't afford the crazy price of the Polaris heater and I heard the Motoalliance Firestorm underdash cab heater works well and I was wondering if anyone here has one and if they like it and how hard it was to install?

I wouldn't be installing it alone, I'll have a couple knowledgeable people to help out so it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That would make a great thread. Take pictures when you do the install and that will really help people thinking of doing the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Super easy to install. I put one on my wife's machine (2012 800xp)this fall for hunting season. Took me about 2 hours because my 7yr old was helping.
Install was straightforward, pull the drivers side wheelwell panel drain the coolant, cut the coolant lines and install the Y's in it. Run hoses to the core and plug it in. Everything is pre wired so all I had to do for wiring was remove the switch knockout push the switch in place attach the Powe wire and plug it in.
Running the duct was easy biggest thing was to make sure before you drill the holes to make sure there's nothing behind it. I was easily able to put two in the dash and two ducts blowing on the floor.
On the same machine if I had to do it again I could have it installed in about an hour. When you refill the coolant it'll take a few times of warming it up to burp all the air out of it.
It blows hot in just a few minutes of riding. She was really happy with it for the 10 days at moose camp.
If I wasn't going to be getting a new 1000xp this spring I would definitely be putting one on my current ride. I will be putting one in the new one when I get it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
We use DFK heaters, from the people that make the cabs, they use a similar heater set up to the firestorm kits by the sounds of it... But they also use an electric pump to circulate water through the heater system, which makes bleeding super easy.

I've got pdf files of the fitting instructions if you wanna take a look sometime.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up ordering the Firestorm heater, Pete from Motoalliance gave me a great deal and I couldn't resist. It will be awesome being able to plow without the window freezing up!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am curious to see how install goes for you and how the heater performs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I'll be sure to take some pics and I'll let you know. I am hoping it goes well and works well. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Watch this a few times and read instructions a couple times while looking at the machine before starting. Not hard its just confusing at some points but if you do a walk thru first its not bad.

Also they mention putting shut off valve in the tunnel, I put mine further back so I can lift the seat and get to it easier.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Watch this a few times and read instructions a couple times while looking at the machine before starting. Not hard its just confusing at some points but if you do a walk thru first its not bad.

Also they mention putting shut off valve in the tunnel, I put mine further back so I can lift the seat and get to it easier.

https://youtu.be/i5ixPeHFlJk
Ha! I seen that video. I just put a TV on the wall in the garage to help aid our installation.

Funny you mentioned the shut off value, I was planning on putting it in the same spot. I don't want to take the tunnel off every time..even though it would be once or twice a year. Still..having it accessible from the passenger seat definitely makes it easier.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today is the day we install the Firestorm heater! Yesterday I did some prep work and getting the electrical stuff done. I have a buddy who is very knowledgeable about this stuff coming up to help me today.

So far, I got whatever I needed to removed and out of the way for install. I got the wiring done, got the vents on the dash done and duck work zip tied on. I also got the switch installed and done.

I bought some Peak 50/50 mix for Asian vehicles. Said it was good for aluminum heads and good for -38f and like 285f. The Polaris dealer said this was perfectly fine for it. I hope so!!

I tried to remember to take pictures, but when I get working I just go go go and forget haha.

20191102_142041.jpg 20191102_170821.jpg 20191102_170840.jpg 20191102_170849.jpg 20191102_170852.jpg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after several hours, I am happy to say that heater is installed and working properly, almost too good haha.

We did run into a couple snags. The template for the tunnel hole was not 100% accurate due to metal part of the frame behind the location where they wanted it. I thought it might clear it but nope. Not enough for the hose. So we had to improvise and move the hole to the left and up a little more to clear the frame and it came out like this.

It doesn't look bad, you can't see it anyways.

The other issue I ran into is the thermostat bypass, the 5/8" outlet needed to be bent every so slightly because the hose was against the starter on the motor, basically kinking it. After some bending, it cleared it but still slightly touching. Hopefully this will be OK. Sadly, I didn't take a pic.

20191103_133821.jpg

20191103_134651.jpg

I must say, the hardest part was removing the thermostat housing and installing the bypass. That was not fun! But its doable if you take your time and have a friend help you, especially a friend that knows quite bit about engines and ATVs.

Here's the heater core with the duct work and hoses running through the firewall. It looks pretty good and its far up top. You can't really see it at all.

After flushing the heater core first by running water through it via a hose..it was time to hook it up to the bypass and install the Y splitter in the radiator. We lost a good portion of coolant but that is to be expected!

Oh, I did put the shut off valve in the passenger seat area to have better access to it. This worked out quite well!

So we were ready to top the radiator off with the 50/50 mix and revved it at 3-4,000 RPM until it hit about 204f which is where the fan turns on and took several fan on/off cycles to get rid of the all the air in the system. Kept topping the radiator off when the temp dropped after the fan kick on.

After doing this several times and topping it off..finally was time to test out the heater and boy did it work good.

Yeah, inside the cab it was hitting 82f hahaha. No coolant leaks, everything works awesome. Very happy!!

I used the IR thermometer to check and see how hot the air was coming out of the vents and it was around 175f to 190f. I was surprised how hot it got, this should EASILY keep the windows defrosted quite well and no more plowing with gloves on or even using a jacket for that matter! Haha.

Overall the installation was fairly straight forward, there isn't that many parts and they give you everything you need. The templates are nice to have but they aren't perfect and so don't follow them exact, use them as a guide and then make adjustments if needed. The instructions were clear and easy to follow but you really gotta read it several times to fully understand. Luckily having someone who is knowledgeable about this stuff is a big plus.

I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted here.

But after plowing last year, I realized that I really need to put a heater in the cab. Having the window constantly freeze up to the point where I can't even see out of it was bad.

I can't afford the crazy price of the Polaris heater and I heard the Motoalliance Firestorm underdash cab heater works well and I was wondering if anyone here has one and if they like it and how hard it was to install?

I wouldn't be installing it alone, I'll have a couple knowledgeable people to help out so it shouldn't be too bad.
I installed Firestorm heater in my 2017 900xp last year. It works great to keep windshield defrosted. I did by myself, there were a couple times when help would have been great and sped up the install. I moved the shut off valve back under the seat compartment. Bleeding was pretty easy - I poured fluid in lines before connecting.
you will love it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed Firestorm heater in my 2017 900xp last year. It works great to keep windshield defrosted. I did by myself, there were a couple times when help would have been great and sped up the install. I moved the shut off valve back under the seat compartment. Bleeding was pretty easy - I poured fluid in lines before connecting.
you will love it.
I do love it! Already installed and working beautifully! It will easily heat up to 90f in the cab lol.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nerwin,

Great write-up! Thanks for doing that. It will help people get the courage up to do it on their Ranger. Your pictures will help. Did you have to burp your cooling system afterwards?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nerwin,

Great write-up! Thanks for doing that. It will help people get the courage up to do it on their Ranger. Your pictures will help. Did you have to burp your cooling system afterwards?
Yeah there was air in the system for sure. I followed the instructions and did several fan on/off cycles and kept adding coolant. The first few times as it got up to around 200f, you can see it burp and bubbles out of the radiator. I let it cool down overnight and checked the overflow in the morning and it was nearly empty. I filled the overflow back up to the max cold line and again let it run until it reach fan temp and and left it overnight again and the coolant levels haven't changed. Everything thing seems well!

I went around and checked all the clamps, snugged them up and checked for leaks and so far nothing. Not a drop. I hope I'm good.

It gets crazy hot out of the vents! It will be nice plowing this winter!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I couldn’t tell in the pictures, where does the heater actually mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts