Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I recently joined, I'm about half way between Worcester and Boston, Massachusetts.
I picked up my first Ranger in October, a 2005 XP with no engine, flat/cracked tires, a pile of random junk in the bed, and a visibly messed up wiring harness.
But hey, it was $400 so I figured I couldn't go wrong!

Little did I know, can't find an engine for these things for under $1500...

After a month of searching, picked up an '06 Sportsman 800 with no transmission, and with a whole bunch of the parts sitting in a pile next to the bike in the guy's garage. $1500 felt like a lot, but the engine ran like a top, only had about 400 hours, and 2500 miles on it, and it came with the clutches and two belts.

Installed the engine over the winter, and got it running pretty well.
Now I have all the parts to upgrade it to a 2008 (speedometer, hand brake, normal regulator/rectifier and relays, etc).
All in I'm at $2650... not too bad.
Now I just have to finish installing all the parts... then I can get a windshield, and build myself some half doors, and put her to work! :D

·
Registered
2019 XP1000 Camo
118 Posts
My father in law has a 2005 he bought brand new. I’d guess it has 1000 hours. Only thing that’s been done is a belt and minor stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This XP only had 450 hours on it, though the previous owner definitely put it through its' paces. There are stickers in various places for performance mods, cams, etc. It has upgraded axles in the back, and used to have a snorkel up front.
These are really solid machines! Haven't seen too many blue ones.

·
Registered
208 Posts
So your 700 is now a 800. Looks like a good project and gives you a lot of satisfaction to get it up and running again. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2008 conversion done!
The winch was dead and the primary clutch had cracks in them though, so another $1500 is gone...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A couple of notes, in case anyone happens along here in the future.

For the 2008 conversion, a few connections don't match:
  • Stator has an 8-pin blade connector on 2005, and a 4-pin sealed Metra-pack 280 connector on 2007+
  • Start Solenoid has a 2-pin AMP superseal instead of 2 individual push-on wires
  • Crank position sensor has a 3-pin sealed Metra-pack 150 on 2007+ instead of a 3-pin unsealed Metra-pack 150 on the older units. Can just move the pins over if you have the right tool to extract them
  • AWD switch in 2007+ is a little different, see below
  • 2008 has a 2-pin headlight connector (no highbeams) and the switch is wired differently. I moved the pins around to match the 2007 and older style high/lowbeam switch, and moved the 3-pin connector over from my old harness so I can keep high beams
  • 2007+ dump box has a separate harness to split the tail lights. I decided to rewire my tail lights with a 4-pin trailer connector (and changed the tails to be common ground and switched positive instead of switched ground) so I can plug in a trailer and turn signals in the future
You can either swap in 2007+ stator, solenoid, and CPS, or you can replace the connectors.

Currently I'm running into two issues with the '08 wiring swap:
- The 2008 ECU I have won't rev, it is acting like the e-brake is always applied, even with the e-brake connector disconnected. I'm using my 2005 ECU instead, but later I will put a meter at the ECU to make sure it isn't shorted.

- Turf mode isn't working. I'm using a 2008 AWD switch, but it still doesn't activate. In 2005, the ECM controlled the turf mode output voltage (+12v for 1 second, +3.3v continuous). In 2007-2009, the ECU controls a solid state voltage sensing relay to the same effect. Maybe my 2005 ECU doesn't support that. Or maybe the VSR is bad. I'm going to switch to the more reliable 2010+ style turf mode controls that just send a straight +12v to the solenoid control relay, and the relay is smart enough to do the +12v then 3.3v. Also, if it ever breaks, the 2007-2009 VSR is a $150 part only available new, and the 2010+ relay is a $30 part new that PSN has for $6 used.

Issues with the conversion to 800:
The center engine mount bracket (between the engine and transmission). The correct 800 bracket comes from the sportsman 800, and puts the engine mounts 1/2" lower in the frame. The taller bracket has a torque stop, the shorter bracket does not, so the one without is what you want to look for if you want to put an 800 sportsman engine into a 700 ranger.
The Ranger frame will need slight modification to match up with the sportsman engine bracket, the two holes are off by 1/8" and 1/4".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A brand new 1000 non-xp is like $11k... I don't think what I'm doing is worth doing, but I'm having fun, so whatevs.
Testing out the duraclutch today

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine properly mounted, Duraclutch mounted, oiled and adjusted the tailgate. Then filled it with dirt and took a load to the new raised veggie beds the lady has been setting up.
Maybe not as reliable and certainly not as easy as a new one but I'm still smiling :)
Now that I've finished this beer I'll load up the brush and drag it into the woods.

·
Registered
2019 XP1000 Camo
118 Posts
Psycobilly Ranger! Like Johnny Cash’s Cadillac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol yeah! It's a 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010 Ranger Sportsman XP, 700, 800 :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts