Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got out for a nice ride with a new camera and took some pics of my trails.

We have alot of trail clean up to do and in many spots the trails are still run off brooks while the snow continues to melt. In the next few weeks the drab browns will turn to lush greens and most of what can be seen in these pics will be hidden by the leaves and new growth.

In many of these shots the trail is hard to see because we have not been out on them since December.

The trail winds along this beautiful mountain brook that is loaded with brook trout this time of year.

We have lots of nice clearings like this where we often stop for lunch or arrange to meet for a beer and to plan the next stage.

Here is a spot where the trail is still a run off brook and a good reason why I need UHMW skids and a lift kit.

Here are a few views from up on the top.

It was a great day and around 50 degrees and the RZR performed flawlessly with all the new goodies and upgrades.

Gary

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well done Gary, and finally you got out to play..whew

·
Registered
477 Posts
The pictures remind me of places I have been around here. Love the pictures! Makes me pine to go riding and my Ranger is in the shop :'(. Thanks for taking the time to post.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Great pictures Gary. One question I have for you is, "What happens to the white when the snow melts?" :2funny:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No doubt we have more play room than Ohio and that could be found in our two major park areas Catskill park and the Adirondak park. The problem is both are completely off limits to off road vehicles. NY is 100% anti ATV & ORV.

I'm very fortunate to belong to a hunting club that has over 2700 acres between 5 leased parcels. We have 25 members but only half of them are active hunters and only a handful of us use the property for ATVing durring the Non Hunting season.

Sadly, we have a major problem with ATVers trespassing on the property and it becomes a bigger problem every year. Better then half of all our dues goes to a 2 million dollar insurance policy we are mandated to maintain and it will be cancelled immediately if some local kid gets hurt while trespassing. We live in complete fear that a lawsuit will shut us right down even if who ever files one has no right to be on the property.

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
I feel very fortunate to live where I live, and one reason is trail after trail after trail to ride and nobody says a thing. Maybe it will change some day, but for now I can pretty much ride anywhere I want to. Heck, even some of the towns are ATV friendly and allow you to ride up and down the streets from trail to trail. It's a cool place to be.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny how things are.

When I lived up by Rochester, NY we had Lake Ontario and a few of the gorgeous Finger Lakes close by.

Seemed like almost every yard had a boat in it. If you lived over by Oswego, NY where it snows about 160 inches every year it seemed like every yard had a snowmobile or two on the trailers.

When I lived down by you in Belfry, KY every yard had a couple ATVs because them hills are loaded with trails and to be honest, alot of the trails were better driving then some of the roads!

I remember a few of the Hollers we took sunday drives up in to and about the last thing you wanted was a car comming the other way because there was only room for one and little pull offs every so often for getting by each other.

That entire area is an off road lovers dream!

I wish I could have found a nice mountain stream loaded with brookies like we have here.

Gary

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hey Grazor, what is a holler? Is that a mountain yodel?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ELK_HUN10 said:
Hey Grazor, what is a holler? Is that a mountain yodel?
:2funny: Ask Cathead about the Hollers! Thats a WV term for those mountains and the valleys down there but it fits well for here too. Seems that most of the roads and trails down there were built in the bottoms of the valleys and wind thru the hills along the run off streams. Their mountains are so jagged with ups and downs and in between each is a holler. I suspect it might have derived from the fact that you could be on top of one side and I could be on top of the other side and holler back and forth. Trying to get to each other, as steep as they are, might take hours. There are a few spots along the Hatfield McCoy Trail system where if your machine goes off the side and down the Holler, you just leave it there because there is no way to get it out.

Up here we call them cliffs or side hills with Ravines but they are not usually as pronounced or severe and plentiful as in WV.

A friend shot a deer accross the holler once and it took him 10 hours to get to it and get it out. He will never do that again. He had to have a friend stay by where he shot from while he figured out how to get accross and then his friend had to holler directions to where the deer was laying. I think WV is also where the statement "You can't get there from here" came from because theres alot of places you simply can't get to from where you are without wings.

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well, the proper term would be hollow, but there ain't a whole lot that's proper 'round these parts, so it's "holler" here. We have some strange names for our hollers, too......like Orkney Holler, Oozley Holler, Shabby Run Holler. Lots of the hollers are called by numbers from back in the coal boom days. Here in Premier we have #4, #2, and #3 hollers named from the mine number back in the day. The rush I get is to go up the holler in my Ranger way back on top of the mountain and look over a bunch of hollers at one time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts