Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ranger Forum Members,

I hope this finds you all healthy and well. I am new to this forum and am hoping to look for advise and suggestions please.

Recently I purchased my 1st UTV but was sadly not as I would have hoped...(a Ranger). It simply boiled down to a number of things: use, need, finances, local service / dealer and so on.

My purchase was a 2019 Kubota Sidekick and while I have had it for only a short period of time, our family is enjoying it...but it is still to early to know to pro's and con's.

One of the primary things that still to this day has be attracted to the Ranger is all of the versatility and mods you can do with the beds and the bed rail mounting stakes (holes) located along the bulkhead and side rails.

My Kubota sadly has none of this...the bed has a nice sprayed in automotive bed liner, the walls are straight and squared off (for the most part) at the top cap and there are 4 "D" ring mounting points screwed into the floor of the bed.

While Kubota has from what I know a "few" accessories that I can obtain to mount to the side rails or bed, I began to wonder, if anyone has possibly replicated the stake holes and or fabricated something which could be replicated and used on another model or brand UTV dump bed?

This would give the best of both worlds...Any assistance out there would be deeply appreciated and I would love to hear ideas and suggestions.

Attaching a photo of my bed for reference.

Thank you in advance!!!

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
93 Posts
Well, you could buy a complete Ranger full size bed, take off the sidekick bed, and fabricate some mounting brackets to attach the Ranger bed to the sidekick's bed supports...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post!

I sincerely appreciate it. I guess that would be one way to get what I am after.

If I could ask...are there specific names for the bed rail mounting holes / pockets I am referring to (for Polaris)?

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
93 Posts
Polaris calls it the Lock & Ride system (they have started to use that name for the cabs and doors and stuff too, but it is mostly bed accessories)

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
93 Posts
I guess another option is you could take some 2x8s and bolt them to the sides of your bed, and then drill holes in them the right dimensions... I don't know what the size of the holes is, and it is slightly tapered.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think the Kubota bed is steel sides ?? If it is then the modifications are endless. You can drill and bolt and make or secure whatever you want to the bed. Make a cap or bed cover of whatever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the Kubota bed is steel sides ?? If it is then the modifications are endless. You can drill and bolt and make or secure whatever you want to the bed. Make a cap or bed cover of whatever.
Yes, it does have a steel bed... While the strength of the steel and the spray in liner is nice...for some reason I like the plastic bed as on the Polaris better. I know this may sound unusual... The bed is obviously lighter...(mine is incredibly heavy)...and again, the lock and ride system seems to really offer the owner an infinite number of modification options already built in...all it takes is either a good bank account or creative mind when making something to attach to the bed rail holes.

It kills me to think of drilling into the brand new bed, breaking the spray in liner seal and new steel...I know that sounds crazy...you would just think there might be some sort of clamping system out there that would allow attachments to the steel box frame or bedrails...

Thanks for taking the time to review and reply!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
That steel bed will still be there long after were gone. Its not like its gonna rust through in five or fifteen years if you drill it.
But the plastic bed is light weight.

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
93 Posts
ehh... there's someone on another forum who was asking about whether the '13 6x6 bed would fit on their '99 6x6, because the bed is rusted :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts