Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 2022 XP1000 Highlifter Crew on 8/17 and I hope to get it soon (I know, waiting times are crazy and could be even longer). I told the dealer I wanted the poly sport roof, so he added that to the order for an additional $629 installed. Now my wife is thinking she wants a glass front windshield ($750) for riding in cold weather. I’ve been told if I buy a full windshield, I should add the glass rear panel ($410). Then I’m thinking I will want a windshield wiper/washer system ($590) so I can still see when it’s raining or water/mud splashes on the windshield. I haven’t yet asked my dealer how much he will charge to install those for me. Can you see how all this is adding up!?

So before I drop another $2000 or so on a machine I haven’t seen yet, I am hoping you guys have some experience with these accessories and can give me some solid advice. Would you recommend buying all these accessories for trail riding with my wife and 4 kids (7-12 years old) year round? Am I missing anything or do you think I should wait to get some of these accessories?

·
Registered
85 Posts
We went with the Ranger NS 1000 Premium. fully enclosed cab from the factory with heat and AC. We didn't want aftermarket installation figuring factory installed, if there is a problem, warranty might cover it. Besides, I just didn't want to do the installation myself. Having said that, We really enjoy it. We have had it since middle of October and go out in all weather. It rains here in Washington, sometimes a lot. So far it has been great. the heat works well and the wiper works great. Only downside is you have to get out once you load it on the trailer to tie it down.:(
We decided against the Ultimate, we don't need power windows or a sound system. Manual windows on the doors work just fine. Did I mention the heat? Heater keeps windows clear. And toasty inside. If you wait, the prices will just go up. I am 69, my wife is 67. and comfort is starting to be important for us. We have had other folks ride with us close by and every time my wife takes another female with her, they comment abut the heat and the fact that they are dry. Friends just ordered a Ranger crew for themselves same package as we got. The wife made the decision, husband though open would be "OK." Wife said NO she wanted one like ours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We went with the Ranger NS 1000 Premium. fully enclosed cab from the factory with heat and AC. We didn't want aftermarket installation figuring factory installed, if there is a problem, warranty might cover it. Besides, I just didn't want to do the installation myself. Having said that, We really enjoy it. We have had it since middle of October and go out in all weather. It rains here in Washington, sometimes a lot. So far it has been great. the heat works well and the wiper works great. Only downside is you have to get out once you load it on the trailer to tie it down.:(
We decided against the Ultimate, we don't need power windows or a sound system. Manual windows on the doors work just fine. Did I mention the heat? Heater keeps windows clear. And toasty inside. If you wait, the prices will just go up. I am 69, my wife is 67. and comfort is starting to be important for us. We have had other folks ride with us close by and every time my wife takes another female with her, they comment abut the heat and the fact that they are dry. Friends just ordered a Ranger crew for themselves same package as we got. The wife made the decision, husband though open would be "OK." Wife said NO she wanted one like ours.
No doubt, the Northstar models are nice. However, they are not as capable on the trail as the Highlifter. Sure, the Northstar Trailboss model is very capable, but the lower gearing, stronger drivetrain, bigger tires, higher ground clearance, and snorkels with the Highlifter make it easier to keep going without getting stuck or breaking down. I don’t consider myself a mud rider, but on these trails the mud is often unavoidable, so I have to be able to get through mud and water to go the places we ride.

For me, durability and capability were my top priorities. I strongly considered the Northstar, but I know I plan to take this thing into some serious trail rides with my family, and getting home safely with as few breakdowns and towing situations as possible are the most important aspects to me. If you aren’t riding the most serious trails, then the comfort of the Northstar is probably preferred. That totally makes sense.

With all that said, it would be nice to stay as warm and as dry as possible in the Highlifter without the benefits of a fully enclosed cab and HVAC. So for me, a Highlifter model with a roof, doors, and windshield checks the most important boxes. But I’m still a little jealous of your Northstar! 😉

1 - 3 of 3 Posts