Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger XP1000 Northstar Ultimate
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had an appointment today to get the oil and filter changed on my 2021 Northstar Ultimate. I took off on the 11 mile trip to the dealer at 7:30 AM. I got about 4 miles out of town, the check engine light came on, RPM wouldn't go over 4000 RPM & 15-20 MPH was it. I pulled over, shut it down, restarted it and everything was OK.

Pulled into the dealer and they wrote up a work order for the requested services and the check engine light. The tech pulled it into the shop, hooked it up to the computer and said the fuel pump was bad? Really? 99 hours and 1600 miles and the fuel pump is dying?

Is this a common issue on the 2021 Rangers? Tech installed a new pump/float assembly and the fuel gauge immediately read "EMPTY" even though the tank was over half full. Needless to say, my quick service turned into a day long project as they now had to source another pump from a dealer 50 miles away.

Thank goodness I have the promotional extended warranty. Fuel pump is over $400 bucks. So while I was there, I bought an additional 3 years of warranty. Poof! Another $1100 bucks gone.

· Registered
2020 Polaris 1000xp North Star
105 Posts
I have a 2020 1000xp Northstar with 11,000 miles on it and I just replaced my fuel pump assembly for $200.00 with a after market assembly I found on EBay. The fuel pump was good but the fuel gauge was messing up and giving me all sorts of strange fuel level readings. I looked into getting a fuel pump assembly from Polaris and seen the price so I went looking for after market. When I got the new one it literally took me 20 minutes to change it. Super easy. Other than mine having fuel gauge issues I haven’t heard of anyone i ride with having any problems. But I’m sure there is a few out there with issues.

· Registered
2 Posts
Before you scrap your fuel pump, check the strainer on the bottom of the pump. It can get clogged quickly depending upon your riding conditions. Mine got dirty after 6500 miles and threw a code. It ran rough and my check engine lights were on. The ECU makes adjustments until it can't compensate anymore and you get the code and lights. An outfit called Quantum has the filter. I believe it's 3 for $15. Polaris sells the pump as a unit. This is an aftermarket part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts