Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunters please lean in on gas or diesel in my New ranger crew purchase.. Was leaning toward diesel with the new koher engine but worried about noise vs xp900. Also can a Diesel engine have something similar to a koplin silencer added?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey how ya doin'? I have a '12 Ranger 800 HD. When I bought her, I too was worried about exhaust noise. I have property in Burlington, West Virginia. That's where I use the Ranger, mainly for Deer hunting season. I had the dealer install the Kolpin Silencer muffler on her. I took delivery and used the Ranger for about a month before I had to take it back to the dealer to have the rest of my Add-Ons installed, including the muffler. The Silencer muffler did a great job quieting her down. In fact, my sister and brother-in-law both say that the "Buggy" is very quiet. I do most the driving. But I quickly discovered one thing. You'll have more noise coming from Squeeks and Squaks from the suspension and frame/roll cage, bushings, etc., than you will ever have coming from the exhaust, baring a performance exhaust that is. I'm still trying different things to quiet that stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well in my idea the noise could be suppressed using a exhaust silencer. But if you will be using your 4 wheeler as a work horse diesel way durable and cheaper to maintain.

·
Registered
39 Posts
got a 2015 570 midsize, almost stock, it goes hunting with me all the time it is a gas burner.thinking about selling my beagles now. I deer hunt and hawg hunt with it also. sitting on dirt commander 28's travelers 4500# winch light bar behind me with old carter go cart lights mounted lights up the world.just saying.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The extra noise from the diesel doesn't come from the exhaust, it's mostly mechanical noise coming from the engine. The exhaust noise is actually less harsh than a gas engine that screams at double the RPM. The difference from a deer's perspective is anyone's guess, but in my experience they are not phased by either one and it shouldn't affect your choice. The gas engines offer more performance, with even the small 570 making about double the hp of the diesel. The diesel engine will probably outlast the gas engine by 4:1, but either one will outlast the rest of the machine if you take care of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts