Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put an extened amount of time in my Ranger my lower leg muscle on the outside of my shin will end up hurting like the dickens from holding my foot on the gas pedal. Does anyone else have this problem and is there something that can be done to change the angle of the foot on the pedal which I think is what is causing this.
Thanks,

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a common problem and when I got mine, after the first hour of riding....I hated it!! I found a discusion about this over at PRC and took their advise and have loved every since!!!!
You need to make a "shim". The way I did mine was to take a piece of treated 2"x12" and gut it to lay under your heel. I cut mine, painted it black and bolted it to the floor. I actually bolted it to the access panel that is over the drive shaft. It made 10000% diffence in comfort and I dont even notice it now. I would not drive it without it. If you dont understand what I'm talking about........I could get you a picture tomorrow. I highly recommend this as a "MUST HAVE" mod. Do this and I'm sure your leg achs are over. PERIOD!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry guys. Just checked the post. I'll geta picture up tomorrow. O0

·
Registered
111 Posts
I saw something like that on another forum last week...I think they said it was made of plywood, stacked to make it 1 1/2 inches high, contoured to fit the access panel in the flor...and it was like $26+ shiping, but the 2X12 sounds a lot cheaper......can wait for the pix, so I can build one for mine!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys......it's raining here right now or I'd get it tonight. It is by far one of the best mods I've done to mine. After a couple rides you wont even know it's there.
If it stops raining in next bit, I'll post them tonight. Again......sorry for the delay, I did'nt have notification on but do now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK......I must be crazy? :idiot2: I went out in the rain for you guys and snapped a picture. Sorry for the dirt. If you need a better picture it will have to be tomorrow.

I took the access panel off and bolted it to it with carriage bolts. It is shaped like the drivers side of the panel. I trimmed out for the access panel bolts and the pedal. It works great!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot.
I just put a piece of 2 x 8 in front of the gas pedal after your first post and it worked great. I will cut a bigger piece out and bolt it in when I get a chance but it sure does make a big difference just with the temporary 2 x 8
Thanks again

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had the same issue and noticed prior year Ranger pedals were longer, so I went to the dealer and ordered a gas pedal from a previous year. It is about an inch or so longer and fixed the problem. No holes to drill for this fix!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think ALAG3 is on to something

Mine is a 2005 and my pedal touches the floor, I think in 2006 they went to the "floating" pedal.

I have never had any leg pain from driving mine :(

·
Registered
345 Posts
All I know is my shin hurt like heck until I switched pedals, then no more pain!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took apart the pedal and cut out 3/4 of an inch to shorten and then drilled a hole to bolt the 2 pieces back together works great and cannot see any difference

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I had similar problems with the RZR but for different reasons.

Floor is slippery and the hump to the right of my foot was real low so no where to rest my foot. That and the throttle is pretty jerky to begin with.

I added a board to make the hump higher and covered it with auto grade carpet glued down and no more jerky throttle and no more pain in the right side of my shin after riding a long ways.

Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thats pretty slick Gary! Have you replaced the spring with one of the aftermarket stiffer springs? I've heard good things about them taking the jerkyness out of the pedal.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My brother did the stiffer spring deal first and ended up with a sore shin and sore ankle.

Once I did my mod on his machine there was no more need for the stiff spring.

Half the battle was the slippery floor causing allot of the jerkiness and the other half was having a place to plant your foot to maintain a steady preasure and be comfortable like in your car with a place to rest your foot against.

Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
Leads one to think that Polaris should have put a little more seat time on the Razr?
Great idea anyway...................

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Leads me to believe who ever it is at Polaris who does the seat time must be bowlegged, pigeon toed and short with long legs. His brother works in my local Wal Mart!

I hear allot of guys B itching about how they have leg pains and or can't seem to find a comfortable position for their feet. With the RZR it seems to be all about a jerky throttle and the need for a stiffer spring.

Most of us just have to sit inside and contemplate what or where the problem is and then just fix it to suit our needs.

Gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
I LOVE this forum! Been having the same leg pain with my new (slightly used) 08 XP and couldn't figure out what to do about it. I'll be trying these mods this week to fix the prob. You're right GRAZOR... wonder if the Polaris engineers did enuf seat time before they gave their stamp of approval.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts