Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know that Polaris actually made a shifter you can replace the stock with that makes it gated for plowing.

Is this worth the $100 or so and is it difficult to install?

If you have one your 900, does it make it feel better changing gears? I noticed on mine that sometimes it's just TOO easy to change gears. Having the gated side , I think you push it left and you only have L - N - R to choose from and it makes it easy when plowing. I plow a lot during winter here and if this will make my life easier and save time plowing, it would be a worthy upgrade. But I can't find much on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have one on my 2016 900 and it was worth it. I too plow a lot with mine and the gated shifter makes it much easier to concentrate on steering input instead of making sure I’m not putting the rig in park or high all the time.

Installation was easy for me but I’m mechanically inclined. The instructions are decent and pretty easy to follow. I’d say if you can change a tire, oil, and cabin air filter on a car, this is an easy install. It also gives you a chance to adjust the gear select cable in case you’ve been clunking gears when shifting.

Basically pop off the gear knob and the upper dash cover and all work is performed from there.

I also have my winch control mounted to the shifter so I can operate it with my thumb. That way I can steer, shift, and operate the plow all at once.

Sent from my tricorder

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one on my 2016 900 and it was worth it. I too plow a lot with mine and the gated shifter makes it much easier to concentrate on steering input instead of making sure I’m not putting the rig in park or high all the time.

Installation was easy for me but I’m mechanically inclined. The instructions are decent and pretty easy to follow. I’d say if you can change a tire, oil, and cabin air filter on a car, this is an easy install. It also gives you a chance to adjust the gear select cable in case you’ve been clunking gears when shifting.

Basically pop off the gear knob and the upper dash cover and all work is performed from there.

I also have my winch control mounted to the shifter so I can operate it with my thumb. That way I can steer, shift, and operate the plow all at once.

Sent from my tricorder
Well if I can install a heater core on the ranger, then this should be a piece of cake.

It definitely does clunk the gears every now and then, especially in the snow for some reason. When there is weight in the bed, it feels better. I don't know why. But if there is an adjustment to make it better, that would be great. Any info on how to adjust the linkage without making it worse? haha

I wish I had put my winch and angle controls on the shifter, but oh well. Maybe a project for later but for now the way I have my switches setup works for me. I am considering wiring up additional plug, kinda like the plug for the winch remote but one that has both angle and winch that way I can remove it in the summer when I don't use it. But for now it works for me and I'm pretty quick at it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are instructions to adjust the cable that come with the shifter. I can vaguely recall that it involves adjusting a nut on the cable on the transmission side of things. If your shifter only clunks once in a while I wouldn’t mess with it yet. There is a better “star “ gear that can be installed in the transmission to have a more positive feel for when you’re in gear. I don’t have that info on hand but I believe it can be found on here in one of the grinding gears threads. My gears grind maybe once every four hours of plowing so I don’t pay much mind to it.

Since you’ve installed a heater core in a Ranger you have what it takes to easily install the shifter and even the different star gear selector if you want.

One thing that the gated shifter did that I didn’t expect was the fact that the spring does not hold the shifter into the L-N-R gate. It holds it to the right slightly but when you put your hand on it to shift it nice into the gate effortlessly. I was expecting the spring to hold the shifter into the gated area instead.

Sent from my tricorder

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are instructions to adjust the cable that come with the shifter. I can vaguely recall that it involves adjusting a nut on the cable on the transmission side of things. If your shifter only clunks once in a while I wouldn’t mess with it yet. There is a better “star “ gear that can be installed in the transmission to have a more positive feel for when you’re in gear. I don’t have that info on hand but I believe it can be found on here in one of the grinding gears threads. My gears grind maybe once every four hours of plowing so I don’t pay much mind to it.

Since you’ve installed a heater core in a Ranger you have what it takes to easily install the shifter and even the different star gear selector if you want.

One thing that the gated shifter did that I didn’t expect was the fact that the spring does not hold the shifter into the L-N-R gate. It holds it to the right slightly but when you put your hand on it to shift it nice into the gate effortlessly. I was expecting the spring to hold the shifter into the gated area instead.

Sent from my tricorder
That's good to hear. I guess it also reduces stress on the linkage and other "driveline components" according to the Amazon listing which is probably good because you're going back and forth a 100 times.

It grind the gears quite a bit when it was brand new but it got better the more miles on it and this summer after I went trail riding for several hours, the machine feels even better at shifting but still the occasional grind. If i'm really easy on the throttle, it doesn't do it but if you give it too much at the start it will. I wish this engagement was better.

I always thought the noise was the belt slipping but perhaps it's not?

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's good to hear. I guess it also reduces stress on the linkage and other "driveline components" according to the Amazon listing which is probably good because you're going back and forth a 100 times.

It grind the gears quite a bit when it was brand new but it got better the more miles on it and this summer after I went trail riding for several hours, the machine feels even better at shifting but still the occasional grind. If i'm really easy on the throttle, it doesn't do it but if you give it too much at the start it will. I wish this engagement was better.

I always thought the noise was the belt slipping but perhaps it's not?
I park my Ranger in a heated pole building. When I first start plowing it won't grind the gears, but rather after being outside for at least an hour it might o it once in a while. My guess is that the steel cable might shrink a tiny bit from getting cold and it's so closely adjusted that the drop in temp makes it off just a smidge once in a while. I can usually tell when it's going to grind so I back off the throttle as fast as I can and it'll slip into gear after that.

It's not the belt slipping, it's the low speed gears trying to mesh with the drive gears in the trans. A belt slipping would sound more like a tire starting to do a burn out, almost a screeching sound if it's bad enough.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I park my Ranger in a heated pole building. When I first start plowing it won't grind the gears, but rather after being outside for at least an hour it might o it once in a while. My guess is that the steel cable might shrink a tiny bit from getting cold and it's so closely adjusted that the drop in temp makes it off just a smidge once in a while. I can usually tell when it's going to grind so I back off the throttle as fast as I can and it'll slip into gear after that.

It's not the belt slipping, it's the low speed gears trying to mesh with the drive gears in the trans. A belt slipping would sound more like a tire starting to do a burn out, almost a screeching sound if it's bad enough.
That's good to know, mine stays in a heated garage but you're right, on a cold winter day after being out for a while it does now that you mention it. In the summer it rarely seem to occur unless you jump on it too quickly. Hopefully something like this isn't bad for it. But if the star drive thing makes it even better, especially for other people who don't drive it as much makes it easier for them then it's probably a worthy upgrade. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to do some research on it.

From what I understand,the 1000 models are better at going into gear than the 900s. I don't know why they can't just make them the same LOL.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I didn't know that Polaris actually made a shifter you can replace the stock with that makes it gated for plowing.

Is this worth the $100 or so and is it difficult to install?

If you have one your 900, does it make it feel better changing gears? I noticed on mine that sometimes it's just TOO easy to change gears. Having the gated side , I think you push it left and you only have L - N - R to choose from and it makes it easy when plowing. I plow a lot during winter here and if this will make my life easier and save time plowing, it would be a worthy upgrade. But I can't find much on this.

Thanks!
I have a 2015 Northstar , it came with a gated shifter. Move the lever towards you and up to see if it locks in 1st gear, then towards you and down for reverse. You may already have on on your 900.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2015 Northstar , it came with a gated shifter. Move the lever towards you and up to see if it locks in 1st gear, then towards you and down for reverse. You may already have on on your 900.
It doesn't, just the normal straight up and down one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts