Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please tell me how to get the gear shift knob off. I have an after market one to put on and i'm trying not to destroy the old one getting it off.

thanks,

·
Registered
317 Posts
There is a little cap on top of the knob.
Pry it off with a flat blade screwdriver.
inside it a torx head screw, unscrew it.
Knob should now slide up and off ;D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I never even look on top for anything. I kept trying to find a set screw somewhere on the base. I found a cool clear shift knob that has a small button that makes the whole knob light up blue at night time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I saw those at AutoZone. in fact they had several different versions of "glowing knobs" ;D One with a glowing skull that looked pretty cool.

In fact they had about 20 different shift knobs, Checker and pepboys had about 2 :idiot2:

They had a leather one I am probably going to get myself, to match the steering wheel I just bought off Ebay. O0

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep, I see myself just gotting to have one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After taking the original shift knob off, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The steel shaft has ribs sticking out from it that will be below the new shift knob. Now I have to come up with something to cover them up. I put on the old knob while I figure out my next step. I'll keep you guys informed when I figure it out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have seen people cover the shaft with that split conduit or wire loom tubing usually used for wiring in engin compartments, It comes in lots of colors and chrome.

I think a section of braided steel hose slid over the shaft would look good. O0

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking about a piece of stainless tubing. We have a lot of it here in the shop. I just have to figure out how to make the two pieces look like they belong together.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
cdgofish said:
I was thinking about a piece of stainless tubing. We have a lot of it here in the shop. I just have to figure out how to make the two pieces look like they belong together.
You could take a drimmel tool and carefully grind those down and smooth it all up. Then maybe paint it . That would look nice, maybe paint it the same color as your ranger is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts