Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next week or so I'm going to be purchasing a glass windshield from Polaris. Im trying to decide if the wiper is really worth having. I don't plan on leaving the windshield in year round but it will be most of the time. I like the one with quarter turn handles for easy removal but a wiper cannot be added. The bolt in one might attach more solidly I don't know. Which one would you or did you go with?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Drive your car around in a rain storm and don't use the windshield wipers, that should answer your question rather quickly LOL.

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
For as many rainstorms I have been in mine non-wiper glass has been
doable. I have been in one rainstorm that was a downpour, and I could
run 30 mph on a straight line following others. Most of the time, I would
not go out if it was going to rain hard, but it hasn't been a problem. I
like my glass windshield and would get it again. It is also easier to
remove when you need too, than one with a wiper.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I checked into the wiper. And @$500 or so, I'm not interested. I use rainx on my glass windshield and it really works well. They make wipes to apply it. I keep a packet in the glove box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was thinking. 1. With a glass windshield it's going to be difficult to scratch so I can take a small squeegee with me. 2. I wax the windshield on my truck a couple times a year and the rain really runs off of it. I hardly use the wipers unless it's a downpour.

I don't drive the ranger as much as my truck in the rain so I don't think it's necessary. Since I don't plan on getting a wiper should I go with the bolt on windshield or quarter turn one?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a '12 Ranger HD with the Pro Steel cab and tip out windshield. I bought it in Sept. of '12. I believe the wipers are worth the investment. I use my Ranger at my place in the mountains of Burlington, West Virginia. And I like to go out at night to cruise around the mountain. The first hunting season I didn't have the wipers. I just used RainX and a squeegee, plus the Anti-fog on the interior of the windshield and windows. A big pain in the butt as far as I'm concerned. Especially during a down pour or worse, Snow. I do have a Cab Heater so that was a big help with fog. The following summer (2013) I found a set on Ebay for a good price and then I had my Dealer where I bought the Ranger do the install. Wish I had them done when I purchased the Ranger.

·
Registered
36 Posts
X2 on that Billy. I bought my ranger with the front & rear glass w/s and the hard roof. I did not buy the wiper but soon learned that even with a misty shower, I found it a pain in the rear. I got the wife to buy me the wiper for last xmas and I am extremely pleased with it. I have been moose hunting since early in sept and have been in the rain and the misty showers and am glad I bought it. Actually, I think it is one of the first investments you should make if you are located anywhere you get those types of conditions. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have the Polaris tip out shield and wiper. I can't imagine not having the wiper. I plow snow with mine and even with the cab heater, snow gets on the shield. The wiper works very well and as said above, it is nice for dust and mud as well as water. If mine broke today I would have another one by tomorrow. JMHO
I guess another question is why are you planning to remove the shield from time to time? With the tip out style, I get plenty of air in the summer and the added protection from branches and flying mud. I would not remove mine for any reason I can think of. Again, JMHO

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you have one you will never regret it. being able to clear fog, mist, snow, mud, dirt, or even be able to wash it with spray like a car its a very nice feature.

I can not imagine not having one in the winter especially if you have heat in the cab. I like the Wide open company style like Handyhiker has with two wipers because my polaris wiper leaves the excess at the top of the swipe at the top of the windshield and everything just runs back down it. The double wiper stays vertical and pushes things to the side like a jeep...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Handyhiker, what is the 42" loader you have for the ranger? Any pics of that puppy?

Also how do you like the silent rider exhaust, any loss of power?

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
I just got back from deer hunting in the Mahoosic mountains of Maine. We had temps
in the low 20's, a couple of nights, and the glass windshield, and side windows of the
cab were all frosted or iced up. I believe a heater for the cab is now the most
important mod on my to do list. We couldn't get out of our camp area because we
couldn't see where we were driving. One night we came out and it was cold, and
the heater would have made a big difference there too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a '12 Ranger HD with the Pro Steel cab and tip out windshield. I bought it in Sept. of '12. I believe the wipers are worth the investment. I use my Ranger at my place in the mountains of Burlington, West Virginia. And I like to go out at night to cruise around the mountain. The first hunting season I didn't have the wipers. I just used RainX and a squeegee, plus the Anti-fog on the interior of the windshield and windows. A big pain in the butt as far as I'm concerned. Especially during a down pour or worse, Snow. I do have a Cab Heater so that was a big help with fog. The following summer (2013) I found a set on Ebay for a good price and then I had my Dealer where I bought the Ranger do the install. Wish I had them done when I purchased the Ranger.
Billy, I love the set up on your Ranger. You are prepared for the elements. Where did you get your brush guard?, it's really nice.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Handyhiker, what is the 42" loader you have for the ranger? Any pics of that puppy?

Also how do you like the silent rider exhaust, any loss of power?
I do not notice any power loss. If there is it is minimal. It does quiet the exhaust but there is still the clutch and engine noise. As far as the loader bucket, it is a left over from my old quad that I modified the mount to fit the plow mount and it uses the winch to lift.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Handyhiker that's a handy feature having the bucket option!!!

Donnyl716 you will be happy with the durability of glass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts