Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99' 6x6 (500) and had to replace the tranny last year. It has worked perfectly up until a week ago. Shifting works fine, but when using d1 or d2, it will only stay in the lowest gear.

d1 is walking speed and for some reason it won't automatically shift into the higher gear by itself. d2 acts like the higher gear in d1 now, and it won't shift automatically into the higher gear either.

Shift linkage seems fine, is tight and moves easily. Oil has been changed throughout and has a new belt.

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my mining equipment and I am down until I can figure this out.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Make sure the shift cable hasn't stretched or slipped or something. The shift lever on the dash needs to match the position of the lever which the cable moves, underneath.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Russ

I was unaware of any "cable" from the dash. I was only aware of the shift linkage underneath the console below the shifter itself. There are two linkages on top. I'm heading over there and will check it out.

Would that cause it not to shift into the higher gear in each d1 and d2 like a normal automatic transmission? As I stated, the shifting seems fine to actually engage d1, d2 and reverse.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You may have a different setup than I'm familiar with, but the machines I've worked on (the oldest was 2001 or 2002) the shifter is on the dash and a cable runs from it back to underneath the bed. If that's not the case with yours, I apologize.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still baffled

This particular 6x6 does not have a cable under the dash, it is a direct linkage from the shifter to the linkage.

In low gear, there is actually two gears, it is supposed to shift automatically and that is the problem, it won't in d1 or d2.

Anyone else with any ideas?

Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts