Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new 17' Vector Series enclosed trailer today. It is a 14' with a 3' v-nose. It has the fold down ramp and side door. Also it has a dome light inside with the roof vent. So now I have to build some cabinets. Make a fold down bed, make a fold down table and add more lighting. I will purchase a portable ac unit and use a buddy heater in the winter months. I am liking it so far and it pulls very well. It is black with the chrome checker plate up front. I will get some pictures up soon.

Question?

How much is a holding tank for fresh water and the pump to pressurize it?

Josh

·
Registered
477 Posts
Neat idea. Are you getting one of those AC units that sits in the floor and plugs into an outlet?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/categories/index.cfm/Outdoor-and-RV-Accessories/RV-Maintenance/Pumps--Tanks/deptID=3:catID=137:subOf=13

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cathead77 said:
Neat idea. Are you getting one of those AC units that sits in the floor and plugs into an outlet?
Yes more than likely. They are fairly cheap and you can get them with heat also. The roof systems are nice but to make them efficient you need to run lp lines and 12v power also along with 120v.

Josh

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2005DMAX said:
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/categories/index.cfm/Outdoor-and-RV-Accessories/RV-Maintenance/Pumps--Tanks/deptID=3:catID=137:subOf=13
I looked there earlier. Which tank and pump did you go with? How did you strap it. What did you do for cabinets? Sink? Shower? etc? Got pictures of the tank? All the help is needed.

Josh

·
Registered
507 Posts
My trailer does not have any fresh water tank. When I go out, it is strictly roughin it. Showers are in the streams or lakes. Check out this guys trailer, it may give you some ideas.

http://home.comcast.net/~ssauer40/cargomate/cargomate.html

Also some ideas in here
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355022&highlight=enclosed+trailer

Here is a picture of what I did for cabinets and RV furnace.

Propane tank mounted underneath

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
We used to do the shower/bath thing in the streams or lakes. While at a camping store we saw the "Ready Shower". Can't possibly live without these any more.

All they are is a 5 gallon black plastic collapsable water container with a very simple shower head.

You fill it in the morning and leave it out in the sun. When you get back to camp in the evening you hang it in a tree and will not believe how nice and warm it can get. 5 gallons of warm water is plenty for a nice shower done right and for the wife I just bought a third one so she can wash her hair and get the soap out.

Some sunny days you have to allow it to cool down a while before you step under it. We found they work great on all but cloudy and rainy days.

Gary

·
Registered
119 Posts
You could also get one of these shower tents, so you're not out in the nude ^-^

we were going to get one of these for our tenting days, then we bought an RV.
I also got a great idea from rv.net, to use one of these for the trailers w/ an outside shower.
Unfortunately our rv doesn't have an outside shower. I wish it did for those sandy or dusty trips.

Check out that site, you'll get some good ideas. I also saw someone, w/ a trailer like yours, add one of those outside showers and he used some pvc piping to hang a shower curtain around the shower. He had it set up, so he could just attach the shower curtain outside when he set up camp.

Augie

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a shower tent like you posted and was planning on running pvc to make an outside shower. That was just make camping a lot better. I don't like going to bed dirty. Not a kid no more,lol

·
Registered
507 Posts
Last year I bought one of these http://www.campingcomfortably.com/zodi-single-burner-hot-tap-w-case.html They actually work very well. Depending upon the temperature of the stream water, this will heat 35-40 degree water up to 80-90 degrees.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would like to have one I could hook up to the fresh water tank I will have. Have yo seen anything like that?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Another company that makes the on demand H20 heaters is Paloma and I think you could get exactly what you want from them in a permanent mount for the trailer. A friend added one for a shower in his shop and raves about it.

Will you have a fresh water hook up at most places where you set up camp? I know from experience if your wife is anything like mine, you will need a very large holding tank if there is no water hook up! :2funny:

I like going to bed clean also but can get clean enough with a 5 gallon solar shower and in just a few minutes. I get the impression the wife gets mezmerized under a nice hot shower and 5 gallons is just the beginning.

Gary

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GRAZOR said:
Another company that makes the on demand H20 heaters is Paloma and I think you could get exactly what you want from them in a permanent mount for the trailer. A friend added one for a shower in his shop and raves about it.

Will you have a fresh water hook up at most places where you set up camp? I know from experience if your wife is anything like mine, you will need a very large holding tank if there is no water hook up! :2funny:

I like going to bed clean also but can get clean enough with a 5 gallon solar shower and in just a few minutes. I get the impression the wife gets mezmerized under a nice hot shower and 5 gallons is just the beginning.

Gary
The wife and I can deal with solar showers now. So if I get a 15 gallon tank it should last us a weekend. I was thinking the way the underside of my trailer is designed I might go with 2 fresh water tanks but they might have to be 10 gallon and then plumb them together making a 20 gallon. We are going to Mexico in 2 weeks so after that is when I can spend more cash. The first thing I would like to do is build some type of cabinet system with a small sink and a place to put my coleman stove. I was also thingking of making a 12v hood vent to get the cooking smoke and smell out of the trailer. I will post pictures when I start.

Josh

·
Registered
119 Posts
For your sink you should use a bathroom vanity. That's what I saw that same guy use. Less space is taken up.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was planning on going with one of those single sided camper sinks, very small and will fit the sink faucet I would like to get.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found a portable shower that would also double as a hot water heater. This is cheap but it is just what I am looking for.

http://portablehotwater.com/

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Somewhere along the line you will need to draw a line as to what can go in and what must be done outside this trailer. Basically your trailer is the same as my Wells Cargo 14X7 except mine has the bubble front and your has the V.

You will need at the very least 5 of those 7 feet just to get the RZR in and be able to shimmy by it!
You will also need a minimum of 9 of those 14 feet after you add front and rear bumper/brush guards. That leaves you with 2 feet on the sides and maybe 5 feet up in the front plus the V.

You are mainly traveling in warm climates so my thought is to make as much as possible either fold away or easily hooked up O/S the trailer.

You can get a nice awning that can roll out quick and provide cover for cooking and eating. You can buy a Coleman cook stove/sink table like I have that gives you everything you need for a semi ruffing it cook and clean up station. My coleman stove and sink table serves us very well while tent camping but I have a 12 X 12 tarp that fits all the necessities while you could easily install a roll out 12X12 awning.

Go ahead if you must bust my chops about the beer belly, it's paid for and any good carpenter always builds a shed over his tools! :2funny:

Some of the very best memmories we have are from these days of ruffing it out in the wilderness where no camp ground or trailer will ever go.

If I had the ability to use my trailer for sleeping and hauling my RZR and gear I would be looking at all the ways to get as much as possible O/S but piped to the 30 pound gas tanks and to some kind of pump system to draw water from a lake or stream. Your tanks should be for cooking and drinking but there is no need to drag water for washing with you. At 8 pounds per gallon you will be dragging an extra 160 pounds for 20 gallons and run out in two showers!

That Zodi heater works great for wilderness camping off of a 1 pound gas tank but it is not what you will be happy with while setting up a camp in your trailer.

You need to give allot of thought to what will work and which way will work best for your needs!
I am an expert at getting things right because I usually end up doing things twice before I get it right!

Save your money and do it right ONCE!

Gary

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree, and I normally put a lot of thought before making my mind up. I use to do stuff twice now I set back and think about it for a while. As for the zodi it also has a garden hose adapter, I found it on zodi's web site. My Biggest thing is that we take a shower but don't use a lot of water, like said before the small solar bags we used was fine and still had some water left. I would like to have running hot water inside also if needed. I couldn't tell if the zodi would use the gardenhose to supply water or not. But after looking at there site it does.
About the space inside I will have the complete v-nose plus 4 feet to work with. Then about 18" beside the ranger. The v-nose will be where the cabinets, hot water heater and other camping stuff will stay. I would like to have a couple cabinets and a small counter top for cooking and preparing food. As for the sleeping area we have a air mattress stand that gets the air mattress about 2' off the floor. I might put a couple of fold down bed frames up but that is more weight. Probably just use the stand I have.
I would like to install a fold down table. I think that would be handy for all events. For the awning I can't find anything under 600.00 My idea was to make a few brackets with a good hook systems and use a heavy tarp and use tent poles at the other end to hold it up. I could make this for 50.00 or less and it would still look good. I will add camper steps for the side door. I can't wait to get this going.

Josh

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Get a nice 12X12 canvas tarp like I have and make an aluminum angle iron attachment point on the trailer with tent poles for the outside ends. Might be a bit more then $50 but it would be easy enough to set up outside the side door.

The Zodi will certainly work better then the solar bags and I am sure you could pipe it to both a big 30 pound gas cylinder and with a garden hose to feed both a shower and the sink. I know they work but I also doubt it will last very long when used like this. They are designed to be light weight and for tent camping and probably won't stand the test of time the way you plan to use it. A Paloma or the one you showed would be a better bet in my book.

Sounds to me like you are trying to stuff ten pounds of stuff into a 5 pound sack but if it works then go for it.

We use a queen size air mattress in our tent and if it gets cold at night I get lucky! ;D

We also have a Mr. Buddy heater that will heat a trailer like ours in no time as long as it isn't much below freezing.
If you were to insulate the trailer with 1" styrofoam all the way around it would add a high degree of comfort on the cold nights.

You also need to consider where the water will get it's preasure from to get to the sink or shower from the holding tank under the floor!

There is an old saying about boats that probably fits here with trailers. If you buy a 18 footer you will always wish you got the 20. Problem with that is if you got the 20 you would probably get another RZR! :2funny:

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
Found a portable shower that would also double as a hot water heater. This is cheap but it is just what I am looking for.
Hot water does not need heating.......hahaha. It's a joke. Don't be mad. :2funny:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts