Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 Ranger XP1000 NorthStar Ultimate. During a steep pull I broke a front and rear driver's side half shaft. I've owned a number of Polaris side by sides over the years and have never broken a half shaft. I have logged 1,000s of miles on all kinds of terrain and I don't hot rod or abuse my machines so please no lectures on how to operate the machine. What I'm looking for here is experience and/or advice regarding aftermarket half shaft upgrades. I'm well aware that if you strengthen one aspect of a drive train you can put too much additional stress on other components such as the transmission and differentials. At 500 miles and operating the machine in a similar manner to what I've done over the years with other machines I'm wondering if the factory half shafts are under designed given the weight of the machine and putting the bigger 1000XP motor in it. The Polaris service manager where the machine is now for repair tells me that the half shafts are designed to fail first in the drive train to protect the rest. I get that, but, again, I wasn't putting the machine in any more of stressful situation that I've done with other machines many times previously.

· Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Ultimate Crew
284 Posts
From all the posts here and other forums I have seen where guys want to install a more robust axle just because or for similar reasons like you have, many times members offer the advice that the axles breaking winds up the cheaper repair. If you beef up the axles then another component becomes the weak link but are far more expensive and or labor intensive to replace.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From all the posts here and other forums I have seen where guys want to install a more robust axle just because or for similar reasons like you have, many times members offer the advice that the axles breaking winds up the cheaper repair. If you beef up the axles then another component becomes the weak link but are far more expensive and or labor intensive to replace.
I think I covered that line of reasoning in my post. I'm looking for others that have experienced similar problems and what their solutions have been. So far, I've learned from others that the stock suspension on a Ranger could be part of the issue but then I find that there's apparently not a lot available in terms of aftermarket parts. Shock Therapy has nothing for Rangers. I did find a Fox system that shows some promise. I've also been told that axle limiting straps may help by keeping the axle from dropping to such an adverse position causing additional stress.

· Registered
716 Posts
Rhino 2.0's are the best bang for the buck out there. WAY stronger than stock, but still designed to be the fuse before damaging the diff or transmission.
+1 my go to axle for replacing a broken stock axle. They are also designed for a larger operating range in the CV radius so binding shouldn't be an issue if that caused the stock axle to fail.

ETA: they also have a great warranty and customer service that can't be beat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts