Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
after owning it for a year I noticed that driving at night was strange and thought the windshield dirty. it is damaged from what Seizmik says I washed it and caused the damage you see?
they told me to pound sand and will not replace. I paid extra for the hard coat, trash

Sky Daytime Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Sky Cloud Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
176 Posts
Made that mistake many years ago with my first machine. Bought the "scratch resistant" poly... yeah... ok. :rolleyes:

Did not take long to figure out that was wasted money.

I can tell you that my buddies that have plastic windshields on their machines carry garden pump sprayers and a squeegee and will stop and spray down their windshield when it gets to bad to see through. Seems they can make it a few times before they are trashed at least.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had that exact windshield that I installed on my 900 xp. Went for a little ride up the hi fome my home and when I got back rinsed it off with water did not wipe it at all, and it was all scratched when dry. Cheap crappy winshield. Glass is the only way to go. Sorry for your troubles!

·
Premium Member
2022 NS Trail Boss
243 Posts
General aviation aircraft have plexiglass windshields which develop the same type of damage. Many pilots use McGuiar’s Mirror Glaze to mitigate the flaws.

Like many of the car paint polish compounds, there are varying levels of polish to remove damage and then swirl marks from the more abrasive polish.

General aviation aircraft windshields seem fairly thin and hand polishing is highly recommended as the plexiglass can melt/distort with the use of an electrical polisher/buffer.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=plane+windshield+polish

The results can be very dramatic and prolong the useful life of the windshield.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Polaris poly split windshield, and back panel. I use rainX plastic coating on mine. I use a microfiber cloth to apply it, and remove it. I never touch the poly with a mitt, or a shammy. After a wash, I use a clean microfiber to dry the poly. I never run it through brush, or ride close to other machines. AND I STILL HAVE SCRATCHES!!!!!!!!!!! I swear just looking at poly scratches it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
General aviation aircraft have plexiglass windshields which develop the same type of damage. Many pilots use McGuiar’s Mirror Glaze to mitigate the flaws.

Like many of the car paint polish compounds, there are varying levels of polish to remove damage and then swirl marks from the more abrasive polish.

General aviation aircraft windshields seem fairly thin and hand polishing is highly recommended as the plexiglass can melt/distort with the use of an electrical polisher/buffer.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=plane+windshield+polish

The results can be very dramatic and prolong the useful life of the windshield.
I did as suggested and treated like a dull headlight and it's a no-go. seems to be between ? ? if I buy another it will be glass

·
Registered
2017 Ranger Crew Northstar 6" lift 15" wheels with 32's
154 Posts
Not sure about wipers but I have a poly carbonate bubble on my little helicopter. The guy I bought it from said he used Pledge furniture polish on on the windscreens. That guys was a high time EMS helicopter pilot. So Pledge might be worth a try. And if you have to clean it they always recommend up and down strokes in aviation.

That is a bummer. I always hate having to learn these types of lessons the hard way, (and I have had my share).

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Vendor
606 Posts
Not sure about wipers but I have a poly carbonate bubble on my little helicopter. The guy I bought it from said he used Pledge furniture polish on on the windscreens. That guys was a high time EMS helicopter pilot. So Pledge might be worth a try. And if you have to clean it they always recommend up and down strokes in aviation.

That is a bummer. I always hate having to learn these types of lessons the hard way, (and I have had my share).
That's exactly what I do. A few coats of Pledge and wipe up and down with a good microfiber towel in between coats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts