Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys, I saw on another forum where the engine heat, maybe exhaust, not sure, was cuasing a melting problem on the back of the seats on the RZR. Has this been resolved, or is it still an issue? I know there are ways to create a fix, but I am hoping Polaris get stheir heads on straight about these little items.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try the Trail Armor heat shield. I bought it and wrapped the exhaust with header tape and put heat resistant tiles on the sheet metal plate under the bed and it doesn't even get the bed warm now. You could sit in the bed if wanted.

Chris

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Just my take on this and alot of the other issues we read about regarding the RZRs.

Keep an eye on where the problems seem to be occurring the most!

I get the sneaking feeling it is where they can ride for miles on end at high speeds. Thats not saying these things should be happening but for those of us who can't run like that, I think we will avoid alot of the issues.

My pipes have never glowed cherry red but then I can't ever get my RZR up much past 30 on any trails around here.
I also almost never have dust to contend with and its pretty rare I would go in water up above my floor boards.

So far, I have had zero problems even with the known issues I have read many threads about.

I won't disagree that there aren't some real issues with them but I have to say we should all consider the source and go by the type of riding those who have the problems do. I'm sure I would feel different if I lived in the desert and could blast along at 50 through a dust storm created by six others in front of me. I would be concerned and on constant guard for problems that I don't have here.

My local concerns will be an over heating problem caused by going too slow and not getting enough air flow through the radiator to keep it cool. I got the RZR in september so it was already cool and damp here. This summer will be the real test for mine and I am hoping Polaris has the kinks worked out and what ever fixes necessary done on warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep us updated, Grazor. Where I would run one, I don't have much in the way of dust and all that, either. Lots of trees, bumps, and brush to contend with so you can't go too fast unless the idea of being shish-ka-bobbed on a tree limb appeals to you. I have not made up my mind on the RZR or the full sized Ranger, so I want all the input I can get.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If I were you and in a wheel chair I think I would base my decision on which one is easiest to get in and out of.

I personally think the RZR is a sportier model in all aspects and worthy of just about any conditions yet there are some ways a Ranger would work better depending on how you use your machine and where you can ride it.

The RZR had to give up a few things to be able to conform to some rules on certain trails. I don't think they are as strong as the full size rangers nor do I think they can take the abuse a Ranger can. I do know I can go places a ranger will have a harder time in and I can go faster but I might be the first guy at the parts counter too.

We like the RZR alot and in our search we were very undecided between a full sized Ranger or a Rino until the RZR hit the floor and we took it for a test ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GRAZOR said:
If I were you and in a wheel chair I think I would base my decision on which one is easiest to get in and out of.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I have yet to go try a RZR. I have tried the Ranger and it is doable, but would be much simpler if those U-shaped bars were not in the sides of the cage.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Here is a side view of my RZR. I think that bar by the seat would also be in your way. It is there to keep you in!

It is also removable and I will try to post a pic of something I think will work great for you if I can find it.

My PC or connection is running super slow tonight so I may have to work at this.

Gary

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I'll have to get rid of that bar, and I want some half doors of some sort to help keep my mostly-useless legs inside. The last thing I want is a busted leg from the thing popping out at a bad moment. Just cuz' they don't work doesn't mean I want 'em broken. 8)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thats exactly what I want to show you but my web hosting site, Photobucket.com is having a new years hangover or something. I can't upload the pic!

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send the pic direct to you.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Finally, Photobucket got over the hangover!

Note how this guy removed the bars and added the doors.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I swiped that pic off a thread over at PRC. Not sure if it was in Gen. RZR discussions or in Tech & Mods.

I tried searching for it yesterday but satellite was finicky with the weather.

My bet is someone like Josh could wip something like this up and add it to his list of nice accessories for sale.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That concept is perfect. I don't like the design of the doors, but the idea is right. ;)

When I get the $ to take the plunge, I'll have to have a madman with a welding torch go to work on some accessories for me. In the meantime, I get to look around and find exactly what I want. Of course, I'll change my mind a hundred times, but that's part of the fun, right?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I am very eager to start building more products, but adding this site to my daily task has slowed down my side business. After a short time I should be able to make a few products to keep on hand. Feel free to tell me what design you are looking for. I have all the fab tools to make what you need but keep in mind time is hard to come by right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd love to tell you, but I don't have the rig yet. Once I get one, I'll talk turkey about some gadgets. These doors here are higher than what I like. I think they would look better and be more what I want if they didn't have that second tube at the top. There is something else about them that I don't like but I don't know how to describe it. The best I can do is this: No curves. They are very angled and seem to sort of take away from the sleek lines of the RZR, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The entire purpose of doors or nets on the RZR is to keep arms and legs in if you ever roll it or seriously tip it on its side. I don't like the hassel of the nets but I do like the protection they give and know very well of our natural tendency to reach out to break the fall.

Going much lower on the top rail will defeat the purpose.

I actually like the looks of these doors as they seem to fit the "Razor Sharp" image of the RZR. I also prefer the open look rather then a door with a skin for summer time riding.

These are some of the great parts of owning our machines and dialing them into what it is we all want and like.
Something that looks and works perfect for me may not work for another or their trail conditions.

As we grow we will see all sorts of accessories on various machines and some will work and some simply won't for you.

I know I like to see the RZR all built nice for dune riding. Lifted, wider stance, big wheels, lights and the works. None of these things will work here or last very long but they still look pretty. It makes no sense at all to add a nice light bar that will be hanging from a low branch on the first night out or making the RZR any wider when my trails are already tight. A 2" lift might be cool but a good solid skid plate was more important for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, it all boils down to what works for YOU, not the other guy. I may have circumstances totally different and my rig may be perfect for me, but nearly useless for you. That's the nature of the beast and the fun of accessorizing.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You add an entirely different dimension to the mix being wheel chair bound but even just the geography of where each of us are has some major differences.

What works for one is not what works for all and thats why the sell Green RZRs that are slower then Red RZRs ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts